Hemi build help and advice needed-noob

Hey gents

I started to tear down my doodlebug last night and only have the wheels, fork, and pegs to remove before dropping the frame off for Powdercoating. Putting all new parts on it, brakes, pegs, handle etc.

I'm looking to put in a hemi predator212 and looking to do some basic mods to it. Not looking for drag racing or full blown rebuild with new cam, valves, etc in it but want to go faster than the motors 24 mph limit from what I understand.

I was also looking at the pmt jack shaft kit to install and now reading about the comet kits. What's the difference? Also what do you reccomend for parts, clutch, sprocket, mods, etc. looking for best bang without a full build.

Anyone in the ct area as well?

-G

The Comet TAV2 (or the knock off) will probably be better for you. If you were keeping the stock motor, the jackshaft kit would be the way to go. If you go with the TAV, the clutch will be included. If you go with a jackshaft setup, you'll need a clutch. A simple will work for you. They're around $30-$40. A MaxTorque will be fine. You can decide between the 10t or 12t options. Either way, you might as well go with a newer chain. The jackshaft kit may come with all you need, I'm not sure. The comet won't come with a chain. A decent #35 chain can be bought from a go kart shop or dirtbike shop (probably).

There are carb and exhaust options as well. There are eleventy-kabillion threads on here. Just do some research. Read as much as you can. There are some very knowledgable folks here. You just have to be patient and take advantage of them.

The Comet TAV2 (or the knock off) will probably be better for you. If you were keeping the stock motor, the jackshaft kit would be the way to go. If you go with the TAV, the clutch will be included. If you go with a jackshaft setup, you'll need a clutch. A simple will work for you. They're around $30-$40. A MaxTorque will be fine. You can decide between the 10t or 12t options. Either way, you might as well go with a newer chain. The jackshaft kit may come with all you need, I'm not sure. The comet won't come with a chain. A decent #35 chain can be bought from a go kart shop or dirtbike shop (probably).

There are carb and exhaust options as well. There are eleventy-kabillion threads on here. Just do some research. Read as much as you can. There are some very knowledgable folks here. You just have to be patient and take advantage of them.
Thanks for your insight! I plan on doing everything new, trying to recycle as little as possible and do it right the first time. I've read about the governor and might feel brave enough to tackle that. I think you're right about the jackshaft kits including the chains. Exhaust is definitely noted and a to- do:thumbsup:

Don't do nothing but put engine on. It will FLY! Mine did. Stock clutch and rear sprocket and adjust screw on throttle lever will do great. Hang on all i can say. But you can do much more , it cost.

Don't do nothing but put engine on. It will FLY! Mine did. Stock clutch and rear sprocket and adjust screw on throttle lever will do great. Hang on all i can say. But you can do much more , it cost.
Good to know. What can I expect to do out of the box? Just put the clutch on with the chains? Or s there more to it before that?

The stock clutch will not fit. The 97cc motor has a 5/8 shaft, and the pred has. 3/4" shaft.
That's awesome to know and I would have over sighted it. I'll get a new one to make everything new and simple. The old motor I just out is a tec motor. The clutch on it is fine but it's rusty and has seen better days.

I've also seen videos of swaps to the predator where people are using and reccomending to use the motor mount adapter plate. What is your experience with or without one?

I did not use the engine plate on mine. They look good but my frame cost about the same amount as the engine mount and right now the DB's are a dime a dozen. I cut new holes for the bigger based Predator 212. If you use a TAV you may need the engine mount to space the engine upwards to have the TAV clear the frame.

I would agree with Full throttle's post above. :smile:

Last edited:
I did use the throttle plate for one of my DB builds. It's nice, but not something that you HAVE to have. You can go without it. If you go with the TAV, you may want it.
As mentioned above, the new motor will have way more torque than the old one. It will throw you off if you're not careful. After riding it a while, you may find yourself wanting more out of the engine. If so, there are lots of "go fast" parts out there. Going fast is expensive! But it sure is fun! Post up some pics of your bike. We all love pics. We'll help you along the way as much as we can!

Awesome! Thanks for the link! I was looking at the pmr jackshaft kit, I want to go that route, will I still need that clutch? It says it come with a 13-15t gears, I'm assuming that's for the rear and not the clutch?

I for sure will add pics this weekend, I just finished tearing it down for Powdercoating, I just have to undo the chain to remove and ready to go.