Hilliard Clutch

:cursing:

This is my hilliard clutch after only 3 weeks of use on my bone stock HF clone'd manco thunderbird. All the teeth sheared off the sprocket. (yes i know the bushing isnt on it in the photo.)

Gonna go this weekend and try to get a store credit from tractor supply (have all the packaging, lost the reciept, go figure)

So I took the rusty max torque clutch that came with the bike (which I was advised was probably shot), soaked it with some wd40, made sure the internals were not completely seized, and put it on the bike. It stuck a little at first but after some repeated engagements around the yard, it appears to be working just fine. It is noticably less noisy than the hilliard, and seems to grab better from a dead stop.

Last edited:
well did you get your money back? I had one on my clone powered quad & it didn't last a week, I think you can buy replacements somewhere.

have to go this weekend to try and get something back, this carnage happened yesterday riding around the yard and climbing some short hills. I should have done my research a little more here it seems, but a few weeks ago I was literally on my way out the door to go ride with some friends so I didnt have time to order a max torque and wait for it, I should have tried the old clutch first before using the new one!

Its crazy that these go for $50, and many seem to have wayyy better experiences with the max torque that is a much cheaper price. my friends with the same bikes are running the comet clutches and have no complaints on those.

uh...that stuff doesn't just happen in 3 weeks?? :shrug: something was not right with your alignment or tension:confused:

even the part of the sprocket that connects to the drum is scuffed. and your wear looks to be beveled.

uh...that stuff doesn't just happen in 3 weeks?? :shrug: something was not right with your alignment or tension:confused:

even the part of the sprocket that connects to the drum is scuffed. and your wear looks to be beveled.
I would agree I notice the chafing on the drum also was this loose as can be? do you have any pics installed on the bike? pic of rear sprocket? something is not in sink here.

Not trying to disprove or discredit your theory (whatever it may be), but we might just be able to help prevent this from happening again in the future with your next one :shrug::thumbsup:

There are issues I am sorting. My rear sprocket/wheel is warped and or bent a little, chain is old, probably original. There is a wobble to the rear wheel assembly when it spins. Too much tension and it binds, Loosen it up a little and it doesnt, but chain smacks the drum at partial throttle. I lubed it before this ride yesterday. I conveniently left that information out. And I would have gotten away with it too if it wasnt for you meddling minibike enthusiasts.

Very new-ish original wheels, tires, and sprocket in the mail on their way to me right now, and new chain to be acquired once those wheels arrive.

As little as I ride the bike, I am still surprised this happened in this short amount of time. First weekend I had it put together was sorting out some issues but rode it maybe an hour and a half total. At home maybe ride it 3 times a week for 5-10 minutes and then park it.

I hate the hilliard clutches. ONLY thing their good at is not burning up, and even at that, you have to lube the bushing soo much, then the oil splatteres everywhere and burns you.

a few observations. I have been running my old rusty max torque for a few weeks now. (About the same amount of time as I was running the Hilliard if we want to make the comparison)

the hilliard i had mounted with a washer on either side when it was bolted in. it had very little play to allow it to shift side to side on the shaft a little bit. the max torque seems just slightly wider and i installed it with only 1 of the washers to allow the bolt to tighten all the way without the clutch being too snug if you understand what i mean. this allowed more play than i had with the hilliard. it seemed to work better with the chain and the chain wasnt smaking the back of the clutch so much like the hilliard. The old Max Torque hardly shows any signs of gouging or wear as seen on the photos of the hilliard on page 1. after being on the same minibike under the same conditions.

I rode it hard one weekend with some friends, and the old rusty max-torque clutch worked fantastic, and eventually ended up breaking my chain, not the clutch. took 2 links off the chain and hooked it all back up and it rides again.

Fast forward a week and now I have my new wheels and sprocket. well...the sprocket is better than my old one, but still has a slight wobble to it. the chain seems to bind on it less though so that is good. And I also have a rear tire with actual tread. I just picked up a new roller chain and lube today from a local powersports store and will be installing this weekend and going riding again with friends.
:scooter:

I managed to find a replacement hilliard sprocket for the clutch for $10 online, I am just going to order that and keep the clutch as a backup.

Last edited:
I would check the chain tension as others have stated. I had a go kart with a max torque that sheared the teeth off, we had the chain waaaayyy too tight

yea i think its better to bolt down the max torque clutches tight. theres really no reason for it to have any side to side play. having it tight takes some stress off the keyway

cxbra

The only way ive seen that happen is by using a loose, dirty or rusted chain (that will do it quick) or your alignment was off. My sproket was wearing slowly then I soaked the chain and lubed it and the wear on the teeth stopped.

Similar thing happened to my Hilliard clutch on my Baja Heat after 4 months but that was because my allignment was off because the shaft on the jackshaft was bent slightly. I wouldn't say the clutch quality sucks because I have one on my other mini bike and it has lasted for 2 years with no wear that I can notice.