Honda clone gx160

Hi everyone. I have a clone gx160 that i'm having some issues with.

i can use the choke to start it and then turn it off and will idle fine. after warming up i try to take off and it dies. now if i throttle up slowly it will stay running till about a 1/4 throttle, then die.

Now i can leave the choke on about 3/4 and it runs much better but not 100%. do i need to tear down the carb and clean it.

it has fresh fuel and a new plug and the gas always passes through a filter.

Sounds like a plugged main to me. You should be able to just removed the bowl, main-jet and emulsion tube. Clean those items and give it another shot.

Is the factory airfilter/exhuast still on the bike?

There is a plug in the bottom of a little bowel attached to the carb.( on the right)
Open it up and remove the plug. Make sure you have the fuel turned off. Let it drain into a glass or onto a white paper towel. If you see brown gunk or grit, there is a good chance the carb is plugged as other have stated.

ok i'll try those. but no i do not have the stock exhaust on it, but i haven't had the stock exhaust on there for some time now.

Without the stock exhaust I think it will be more sensitive to a lean condition as its probably running a bit lean already. IE a small restriction/dirt in the main-jet could cause the symptoms you're describing.

Does the modified exhaust have a muffler or just an open pipe/header?

Have you cleaned/replaced the air filter anytime lately?
A dirty air-filter can increase the signal to the carb and cause a rich condition.

You might need a larger main jet.

It does have a muffler just not the stock one. a few days ago i took the carb apart and blasted it with cleaner and the jet holes looked very clean. but now that you mention it i do have a exhaust manifold gasket issue, it was leaking very bad. but i got another one today and i'm going to install it either tomorrow or the next day and test it out.

but all of it was fine before i put the motor away. nothing has changed besides it sitting. would i still need a larger jet? lol i just can't figure out what's going on with this stupid thing. when i pulled the jet it all looked fine but i cleaned it all out anyway. I mean do you think now it is clogged after i put it back together again lol.

How about a weather change, can you recall what the weather was like when it was running fine compared to how its running now?

Whats the spark plug look like?

well it's got a new plug and the weather was about the same as when i put it away. but i've ran it through the heat of summer and through the cold of winter and it was all running fine.