Honda GC160 build

I recently traded for a GC160 that's missing a few things and thought i'd get it running again
(Aparently that's all i can post?)

About a month ago I traded a guy a brigs 3hp for the guts of a GC160. It's missing a recoil starter, flywheel cover, carburetor and an exhaust. I found the parts online and it adds up to about $35 to get it running. I brought it home and started doing research. Some guys say the aluminum is too soft and how the belt is submerged in hot oil and the plastic camshaft is trash others say it's indestructible and that they run 7,200 all day long Blah blah blah the fact of the matter is if she blows I'm out $30 if not I have a little honda to push me around

I already turned the PTO side down to 5/8th" and dug out a keyway, I removed the gov and plan on porting the intake and exhaust/ i'll fatten it up when I get a carb for it but still having issues with getting post denied probably just a new member issue

I love the little Honda Gc160 motors. Never had a problem hooking them up on minibikes. Kinda limited on performance mods, but they're still 5hp. Enough to haul my butt around

I removed the gov and plan on porting the intake and exhaust
Being a "blind" head, you may have trouble getting to the part of the port that needs help. With no real aftermarket support, I'd hesitate to leave the governor out. Add a couple degrees timing, decent small pipe and a filter, jet to suit, and enjoy it for what it is. Added revs may cause valve float, and the plastic cam and timing belt seem to hate that. Stiffer springs would be hard on them too. YMMV

^ for exactly those reasons I haven't even considered removing the governor. With how the belt is set up, and lack of proper mods to ensure "safely" removing the governor, it just didn't seem like a motor that would take well to high revs. Yea, just enjoy it for what it is. I used the PMR jackshaft on one of my GC160 bikes, that made a big difference!

Thanks for the info guys! could i advance my timing by grinding down my flywheel keyway?
You can buy the offset keys, file yours. Have a cast iron or aluminum flywheel? I ended up making a bracket to move the coil on my 420 because I didn't trust the offset with the heavy wheel. I'll be trying an offset in my aluminum-fw'd
GC though.

Google this engine within the forum. There are a couple of posts on what works and what doesn't. Timing advance seems to help, though I really wouldn't advise messing with the engine much. JDBlood is right..without aftermarket parts, running this engine without a governor is beyond risky--plastic cam and timing belt. The engine will easily run to 4400 stock and is certified to 44k by Honda. The engine is very reliable, very torquey (they usually are on power washers) and you'll be satisfied. I'm building a bike with a GC190 now, and I'm looking forward to the smooth power of this engine.

ive had both the GC160 and GC190 on mine. I have the GX series timing key, carb jet, and 18lb valve springs installed in mine, really woke it up. I ran it for about 2 years before building my Predator. Theres also K&N filter out there that fits the stock air box.

Now that's a slick design. Mine is straight back.
I agree.
Its very nice.
The trouble is the GC series still have no support, and probably never will.
They are a Japanese answer to the question what is to be done about the clone.

The answer was to make something cheaper through better engineering, and that is its fatal flaw it is designed to be cheaper.

ive had both the GC160 and GC190 on mine. I have the GX series timing key, carb jet, and 18lb valve springs installed in mine, really woke it up. I ran it for about 2 years before building my Predator. Theres also K&N filter out there that fits the stock air box.
Yea, you can use the air filter adapter for a gx motor to use an aftermarket air filter, there's just a spot on the adapter that you have to drill out to match up with the little hole that's on the face of the carb. And that's a cool header design!

Just removing the stock air cleaner and using a Honda clone filter with a header, makes a big difference! The tough part can be hooking up a throttle. Someone will show some pictures of how they did it.

You can buy the offset keys, file yours. Have a cast iron or aluminum flywheel? I ended up making a bracket to move the coil on my 420 because I didn't trust the offset with the heavy wheel. I'll be trying an offset in my aluminum-fw'd
GC though.
It's the Aluminum one I started porting the exhaust and intake and i may have gone a little to low, I don't feel compression but if I put a spacer under the spring I'll lift the valve just enough to where it seals again, Happy to hear what's wrong with that. Are the valves of the GX160 the same? it is pushrod but honestly I could dream at this point It might just be the release valve (praise honda)

Last edited: