Honda GC160 fixed or manual throttle control?

NorthernTools has GC160's with fixed throttle on sale for $189, that's approx $205 total including sales tax. The ones with manual throttle are approx $41 more. Very tempting for me, because I have been looking for a used one for sometime, and used ones are almost that much on ebay and CL around here.

I had one with the manual throttle, so I know how that works. Not sure how the fixed throttle would be different to rig for a minibike. I used some of the manual throttle linkage for my throttle hookup, but was not totally pleased with it, and probably wouldn't use any of the OEM linkage next time anyway.

Anyone have a GC160 that came with a fixed throttle on a minibike? Any comments welcomed. :smile:

The gc160 is a far different animal from a gx160 just in case if you weren't aware. I may be wrong on this but I believe "fixed" throttle means the engine runs at one rpm and isn't adjustable. That's how pressure sprayers operate at least.

hello garredondojr,

Thanks for reply. Yes, GC160 is different. I have one in the family on DB30, sold to son-n-law, and get to ride it from time to time.

GC160 not too popular with engine builders, but a great minibike engine, if you just want to run it stock.

Looking for someone to respond that has one on minibike that originally came with fixed throttle. Maybe, I should just go to NorthernTool store and ask to look at one, see the difference. I lost the fire to get one now, probably just wait until I sell Tecumseh 3.5 PowerSport I have for sale now. Too easy to accumulate a bunch of stuff, which I have already done.

I see you have GX200 clone and are thinking about cutting head and block. Cutting the head is relatively easy with a flat plate and sandpaper. I recently had good results decking the block using hand tools and elbow grease. Once I got everything set-up, was able to take off approx .035" in about 2 hours. Piston is in the hole approx .003 to .004" now. Raced it 2 weekends ago and runs very well. :thumbsup:

hello garredondojr,

Thanks for reply. Yes, GC160 is different. I have one in the family on DB30, sold to son-n-law, and get to ride it from time to time.

GC160 not too popular with engine builders, but a great minibike engine, if you just want to run it stock.

Looking for someone to respond that has one on minibike that originally came with fixed throttle. Maybe, I should just go to NorthernTool store and ask to look at one, see the difference. I lost the fire to get one now, probably just wait until I sell Tecumseh 3.5 PowerSport I have for sale now. Too easy to accumulate a bunch of stuff, which I have already done.

I see you have GX200 clone and are thinking about cutting head and block. Cutting the head is relatively easy with a flat plate and sandpaper. I recently had good results decking the block using hand tools and elbow grease. Once I got everything set-up, was able to take off approx .035" in about 2 hours. Piston is in the hole approx .003 to .004" now. Raced it 2 weekends ago and runs very well. :thumbsup:
Sucks cause exhaust dumps out the front....

hello garredondojr,

Thanks for the recommendation I actually picked up a clone that I plan on trying the sandpaper and glass milling method. May even get brave and knock it down with the belt sander and finish it with the glass and sandpaper. Going for .015 out of the hole with a flat top and 14cc head I got. If it works ok then its on to phase II with E85

rmm727

Thanks for the recommendation I actually picked up a clone that I plan on trying the sandpaper and glass milling method. May even get brave and knock it down with the belt sander and finish it with the glass and sandpaper. Going for .015 out of the hole with a flat top and 14cc head I got. If it works ok then its on to phase II with E85
Why not use a thinner head gasket and save yourself all that work. If you want it .015 over the top, you'll need a .050 thou head gasket to have the .030 thou piston to head clearance most recommend. Leave if in the hole and use one of those .018 MLS gaskets and be done with it. Crank it over by hand with modeling clay on the piston, then tear down and check clearances. You should be good with that setup.

"Sucks cause exhaust dumps out the front....", every motorcycle has exhaust coming out the front, can get a deflector to direct it out to the side, or get a fancy pipe, very cool looking like Neck's, hasn't caused any problems for me. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Why not use a thinner head gasket and save yourself all that work. If you want it .015 over the top, you'll need a .050 thou head gasket to have the .030 thou piston to head clearance most recommend. Leave if in the hole and use one of those .018 MLS gaskets and be done with it. Crank it over by hand with modeling clay on the piston, then tear down and check clearances. You should be good with that setup.
I've heard the gx160 headgasket seals best. So .015 proud with the .045 gasket puts me at .030 cylinder to head clearance.