Honda GC160???

Fisher1983

I have a nice GC160 off of a power washer that had a dead head. Im not afraid of fabbing up a throttle for it, but Im concerned about the crank. It only has about 1 1/4 inches of useable shaft. If I were to use a stud, lock washers and Loctite, would that be acceptable? I really like this engine and Im thinking of using it instead of a Tecumseh I have.

Fisher1983

Ok, after reading all night, seems like this is a decent engine. I can get the proper crankshaft for it for 35 dollars. So somebody tell me why I should not pull the trigger on a crank swapped GC160 for my DB30. Go!

Swapping in a new crankshaft isn't that hard. I did it on my last GC160 mini bike. I really like the GC160 motors, they've been solid for me.

im pretty sure ik what you mean here as i took a gc190 off a pressure washer only to discover the shaft was Sheared off almost 3/4 of the way.
when the pressure washer bearings went out they really torqued the crank.

so i kept it around until i found a frame it fit then used a pmr jackshaft on it.
this puts the clutch keyway close to the case and the motors still useable as-is.
hope this helps ya out,cause you could just buy a pmr and not have to touch the motor.

as far as good/bad,the exhausts are a pita but the motors seem strong.
i was whopping my buddies butt yesterday n he has the hemi predator w a tav even.:scooter:

Fisher1983

im pretty sure ik what you mean here as i took a gc190 off a pressure washer only to discover the shaft was Sheared off almost 3/4 of the way.
when the pressure washer bearings went out they really torqued the crank.

so i kept it around until i found a frame it fit then used a pmr jackshaft on it.
this puts the clutch keyway close to the case and the motors still useable as-is.
hope this helps ya out,cause you could just buy a pmr and not have to touch the motor.

as far as good/bad,the exhausts are a pita but the motors seem strong.
i was whopping my buddies butt yesterday n he has the hemi predator w a tav even.:scooter:
I think im going to pull the trigger. The engine might have 5 hours total on it. It runs excellent and my small engine shop said 31 bucks for the crank. Also I got some 1 1/4 inch generator exhaust pipe from work to gab a badass sidepipe. :) Glad to hear they are solid engines. Im still concerned about the timing belt but if the engine lasts a year Id be happy LOL!

yeah i feel the same way the timing belt makes me nervous,but others have said its okay.
plus its a honda i feel a bit better with a honda.

also i didnt explain it right.
the gc190 i took off,had sheared most of the Keyway section off the crank.
not the whole end of the crank came off lol.
its working very well with the pmr jackshaft setup,in fact im a bit worried as to how much those pmrs can take,
cause this thing will pull the wheel up At speed :eek:hmy:

im working on exhaust myself as well.
hey,you know the predator exhausts are the same size/bolt mounting pattern,
but they clocked the actual bolt holes diff on the block so youll Need a custom setup.

gl with taking that motor apart,if you do,perhaps a build vid or topic?
id deffo follow that,as i have a gc160 here that needs going thru.

Fisher1983

I found a different bike so I am offering my roller and that engine up for sale (see the classifieds.) However if the roller sells with the other engine and I keep going on the Honda, Ill do a crank swap/exhaust build thread. :)

Fisher1983

[QUOTE

im working on exhaust myself as well.
hey,you know the predator exhausts are the same size/bolt mounting pattern,
but they clocked the actual bolt holes diff on the block so youll Need a custom setup.

.[/QUOTE]

I noticed that on OldMiniBikes the Predator/212cc exhaust flange appears to have the same straight line bolt pattern as the GC160...it isnt offset to the port like 196cc and clone. I might purchase one and investigate rather than fabbing a washer flange with limited tools.

I took a 7/8 U-bend, cut it in half and stuck the bits together to go under the engine. Flange was off an old pitbike pipe, but a piece of steel and a few minutes of fab would make one easy.

i just put one i scored for 40 bucks on a small go kart called a ty-rod. i pulled off the modded predator that made it plain scary. the honda is slower off the line but almost pulls as hard once you get it going!

the exhaust started to try to melt the plastic seat as its of course pointed the wrong way, but i just cut out an oval out of some thin sheet metal and used a ball peen to hammer a cone-V shape in the middle making the whole piece round and just used self tapping sheet metal screws to attach it to the stock muffler. works like a charm!

I took a 7/8 U-bend, cut it in half and stuck the bits together to go under the engine. Flange was off an old pitbike pipe, but a piece of steel and a few minutes of fab would make one easy.
ty for the inspiration:thumbsup:
i read your post,then i walked in the garage,looked around,spied the old metal bike carrier,and nabbed it up.
everyone uses plastic now anyways,so this racks day was done.

cut off a length with curve,notched the end with 2 slots and then closed them carefully.
went back to the wall of parts,grabbed an old metal air filter base,
stuck my new pipe thru it,about a half inch,and then welded it up on the outside.
a little work with the factory tin shield and the grinder,2 bolt holes and presto,an exhaust has been born.

unfortunately,my neighbors and myself didnt really care for how loud it was even tho the pipe was longer,
so a muffler got welded on as well.
pulls like a horse and fairly quiet now,and looks good too.

Nice pics, guys. I just got the new crank in my GC160 and reassembled the block this evening. My Dirt Bug stock engine has only a few hours on it. It runs good and has a 2500 rpm clutch spring, but I really wanna feel the 160. Im debating pulling the stocker and selling it. The bike will be down another couple weeks though.........

Ludicrous.....does your GC carb have an idle speed screw or no? Mine has a prebent tab that Ill have to playbhell adjusting for 1500rpm idle.

orrr,you could just buy another minibike and keep the db together for others to ride/friends/family.
( see how this all starts and then one day you wake up to one you and ten minis :laugh: )

dunno ill go look right now brb