Honda gx120 info wanted!

I have a line on a 4 year old genuine gx120. The Guy is asking $60 and he said it runs. I have seen that mods like a cam and other things are not cheap for the 120 and they arnt that common. This concerns me because I want to mod it for more power. From what I see, it sounds like a great deal for an engine that could run forever. What do you guys think about this engine compared to a h.f. clone or a Briggs flatty?

Jeffo,

Four years old is kind of old to modify. Most of the parts are worn by now. I heard of clone motors going for $66.00 from HF. I have not seen them that cheap even with a coupon.

My advice is even if you pay $100.00 for a clone motor, it will be better than a four year old motor. I do not know about the briggs. A real Honda GX-200 costs $335.00 or more.

TT

I want a Briggs because of rebuild ability, as well as performance. This was just pitched to me and I have questions about it being a Gx120 compared to a 160 or 200. And a HF clone is my very least favorite

120= 4HP...160= 5.5HP
And read the sticky note about governors before suggesting without proper precautions.
And to answer your question..TT is correct..you would be better off buying a new clone for 100.00 bucks. You can do endless modifications to those motors and re-build them as many times as you want for cheaper than a Briggs. Also you will spend just as much for the 120 parts as you would for the 200 or the 160 parts. The 120 has a limited amount of mods you can choose from also. Good luck:thumbsup:

When I was told 4 years is too old for mods, I'm just like well I'd rather mod a 35 year old Briggs. I just don't see how a genuine Honda, which are supposedly built better than Briggs, be any worse than a clone? Clones just seem like more than %50 will be junk in two years. I have little experience with them tho. Just talking out my ass.