Honda GX340 - Generator Engine Questions

Serial # GC05-1059978 (if that helps at all)

I’m kind of new to all of this, so please bear with me.

I just got ahold of a GX340 off a guy on craigslist (for cheap), runs great, I’m just wondering how much work it is going to be to get the thing working in my minibike.

I stripped the tank, muffler and carb shroud off of the engine (because its not going to fit within the frame) and planned on buying kit # 1 from affordablegokarts.com in order to replace the filter and exhaust. Along with the idea of mounting the tank somewhere (none of which is a big deal, I hope)

The biggest problem seems like its going to be the fact that the engine came off of a generator and is definitely going to need some work before it is able to be mounted on a minibike.

1. There is a shroud on the drive shaft side of the engine that would prevent a feasible mounting of a clutch/torque converter. Would it be reasonable to cut the shroud off of the plate?

2. I’m not sure it has a flywheel? Does anyone know? If it does or not, does that create a problem?

3. The actual drive shaft is something I’m not used to either, its not keyed and it gradually comes to a semi-point instead of being one diameter throughout (what is this called?). It also has a threaded hole at the end in order for a long bolt to connect the old generator coil to the engine. Does anyone know if this will cause a problem?

4. Anything I might be overlooking?

Obviously I want to keep costs to a minimum. I’m not familiar with small engines, I work on cars a lot so I’m not totally in the dark but its different. Again, pretty new at this, so some advice and patience would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

it has a flywheel.

by drive shaft do you mean the shaft coming out of the left side of the engine (opposite the pull start)? if it's tapered you can't use it on a mini bike. you either have to buy a new crank or just get a different engine.

I have a bisson engine on my bike I just swapped out the cranks and no issues.

The governer/linkages might need some work since they are made and set for single speed opperation