How bad is this Rupp shaft?

zeeman

Yellowhand, KKK, any other machinists out there, Is this shaft fixable? I don't think I can use it like it is. The two Keys are worn really bad, and you can see what happened to the shaft. I had the whole bike apart, except for this shaft assembly. I was thinking about just leaving it, but my curiosity about what was inside got the better of me, so off it came. This is what it looks like. Thanks.

well I may not be much help Wes only because I'm not familiar with that part.....why are there individual short keys instead of one long one..... are there a couple different individual sprockets or pulleys ?

looks like the only real bad spot is at the top of the threds there...you could maybe have it built back up with tig weld and then re-shape it by hand with some good file work and then chase the thread with...just don't use a high-nickle tig wire...that stuff is murder to re-machine....

maybe that part is already reproduced or is easy to find another used one :shrug:

The amount of wear on the bearing surface of the longer side makes it not worth fixing...

I'd make a new one, but I'd use 5/8" shaft with a separate, larger OD spacer that slides on instead of turning down the ends of an oversize shaft like Rupp did...

I had the whole bike apart, except for this shaft assembly. I was thinking about just leaving it, but my curiosity about what was inside got the better of me, so off it came. This is what it looks like.
shoulda left it alone Wes :laugh:....now you gotta fix it!! :doah:

zeeman

I know. I wish I had left it all covered up, but I just could not do it. I think I can get a new one, I just want to do this bike on the cheap, and was hoping for some good news. I knew in the back of my mind I needed to get a new one. Ouch!

Yellowhand, there is a pulley, and a sleeve (?) that go on the long side. I'm inside now, and it was late when I took it apart last night so I'm not sure why it has two keys. Oh, now I remember, the key closest to the bearing has a mechanism that holds a spring and rotates to put tension on the plate so the two halves of the pulley come together and apart. To put tension on the belt. So, what do you guys think, could I get it fixed cheaper than 50 bucks. I think that's what a new part costs. Thanks for the replies.