how do I restore cad plated parts?

KB2ROCKET

I have several cad or galvaized plated parts on my 50 year old kart im fixing up and the parts are now clean but look bad compared to the painted chassis how can i get the cad plated parts looking new again?:shrug:

Last edited:

Mean Dean

Hello, you need to find a zinc plater in your area. We have two in Michigan. you can do different shades and colors.
Good luck.

Oldsalt

Diy

KB2

Caswell home plating supplies has a kit [1-1/2 or 2 gallon] for "Copy-Cad'. It looks like cadmium or zink plate but is not toxic to mess with like cadmium. The pic shows my copy-cad tank; the anodes are sitting on top. The savings are great because you don't have to drive somewhere to have it done [for me that's 100 miles each trip]. Even better...you get it done that day! Even better than that there is no chance of valuable parts being lost...that has happened to me. Simple to do...plates and solution last for many years, easy to store and set-up again. Although mine is left set-up and ready. It and the nickel tank are used often.

Hello, I work with platers up here in NY everyday. Something to keep in mind if you go the strip and re-plate route on your parts. Electroplating produces hydrogen durring the process. Some parts are more prone to breaking if hydrogen levels are excessive in the part then put under load in application. (Looking specifically at the rack and pinion gears). Make sure you tell the plater whether its zinc or cad that you want a post plate bake operation performed. I would use a 24 hr cycle. Temps are specific and can be found in ASTM B850. The plater would know this. It can't hurt. Reduces the risk of hydrogen embrittlement.