How do I return HF Clone to stock linkage setup?

I bought a HF clone off craigslist that someone had a DIY linkage setup on. I have all of the original parts to return it to stock but I have no pictures or anything on how this works. From what I've found here by searching is that there is a linkage and spring coming from under the tank that goto to the butterfly on the carb. How does the arm get attached to the throttle setup? Does this same linkage run thru it somehow or is there another piece of linkage that also goes under the tank too?

Do you have a receipt? Was it purchased within the last 90 days? Is the connecting rod hanging out of the block? If you answer ''no'' to the first two questions or ''yes'' to the last one...you can no longer return. :doah:

Do you have a receipt? Was it purchased within the last 90 days? Is the connecting rod hanging out of the block? If you answer ''no'' to the first two questions or ''yes'' to the last one...you can no longer return. :doah:
cheezy, you did not read his post in the right context. he is asking how to return the throttle linkage to stock SETUP. Not return to stock at HF.

cheezy, you did not read his post in the right context. he is asking how to return the throttle linkage to stock SETUP. Not return to stock at HF.
Blah ha ha!!! I need some coffee I guess. You can't fix stupid. That is the first time I've ever heard of someone re-installing that. Kinda nice to hear. They use to have a picture of the factory set-up on affortable kart site.

Yes, as mmisterbungl said I am just trying to return it to stock for use on a minibike instead of whatever they were trying to do with it to make it run their power washer. The engine has never even been fired. They bought it and basically disassembled the air cleaner/throttle assy and then couldn't figure out what to do with it all. So they placed it back in the box and tried to return it. HF denied the return because it was in pieces so they gave up and sold it to me for half of what they paid for it at HF.

Yep. The old guy that I talked to said that he thought he could just bolt up the linkage assembly from his previous engine but couldn't figure out how to. The engine looks new and the tank is dry as if it's never had fuel in it. It doesn't smell either.

That is good news then...there is a thread on here that I think supernova started about ''why remove the governer'' and it has pictures of the stock set-up. I don't know how to link it to this thread. And if all else fails...try affordablekarts.com. They use to have a couple ways of setting-up the throttle so you can adjust it down so you can't reach max RPM using factory parts. Sorry about lack of reading ability on my behalf earlier..lol. :doah:

Thanks Cheezy. So now I know that the connecting point under the tank is the governor arm. I've looked in both of those places you suggested and I still don't understand what the throttle arm is supposed to be connected to. I currently have the linkage attached from the governor arm to the butterfly on the carb but what is supposed to hook to the throttle arm?

Edit:

Here's a pic I found on this site of someone else's setup
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/747/medium/doodlebug6.jpg

So I am right about the linkage and spring hooking directly to the carb. What then makes the thottle arm regulate the throttle?

Last edited:
here's one way of doing it. you don't need the exact set up i have, but maybe this can spark some ideas. you just need an "anchor point" of some sort (mine is the piece of metal with red paint on end of it) to keep your throttle cable in place and then hook up the end of the cable to one of the holes in the middle of the governor arm with a calbe stop. if you go this route, you will need to take a pair of needle nose and bend up the portion of the gov arm where these holes are so you can thread the cable through and put a cable stop on the other side. this will regulate the opening and closing of the butterfly. you can then discard all that other stock junk that they use as their throttle.

No offense to the innovations shown here but you need to make it right, you are trying to return it to stock be patient and someone will have the pics and be able to guide you through it! I like a stock governed clone, I do a slight mod to get the most from it but dont modify anything that is noticeable!:thumbsup:

Thanks Supernova. Yes I would like to return it to fully stock first before I ever tinker with it. I'm probably wrong her but I prefer to get a engine fully broken in before doing any sort of modifications.

Redgokart: The bike (and engine) are at my dad's house because he has a much larger garage than me so I can't take any pics currently. See pic I found of someone else's engine with my comments added.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/1559/medium/HF.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Supernova. Yes I would like to return it to fully stock first before I ever tinker with it. I'm probably wrong her but I prefer to get a engine fully broken in before doing any sort of modifications.

Redgokart: The bike (and engine) are at my dad's house because he has a much larger garage than me so I can't take any pics currently. See pic I found of someone else's engine with my comments added.

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/1559/medium/HF.JPG
You wont be able to put a billet rod in it once it's broken in unless you hone the cylinder and replace the rings, the time for internal engine mods is now. And that pic does'nt show the black spring that is the connnection to the twist grip, here's one with my added spring. Disregard the added spring unless you want to go much faster than a regular stock clone! The black spring hooks to the loop on the throttle arm under the throttle plate then to the governer arm. The gold spring riding piggyback is not factory so ignore it.

Last edited:
Thank you supernova. I don't plan on doing any internal mods. This is bike strictly being built for the bathroom/concession stand runs at the local drag strip.

So the black spring connects the governor arm to the throttle arm? Thanks I'll try it out.