How do you know you've tuned properly? Mikuni 22

I've tuned my carb to what I believe is correct. I got a good plug reading, I hear no backfiring, and it runs fine.

How can I be sure that it is tuned to the best possible? Any tips from people who are good at it?

go richer....see any better performance??no go leaner than the original jet and better performace?????? its all about testing and personal preference...if the plug is a bark coffee its not going to get much better. and would you mind posting pics :smile:

I got mine mounted weird. I have a post with a rubber grommet inside it which holds the bottom peg of the carb. 45 degree manifold and two clamps holding it on the manifold.

Install an air/fuel management system with a wideband oxygen sensor and air/fuel guages to monitor exhaust output. :doah:

Or just try the butt dyno. hehe.

I'm guessing if it's running fine, and the plug is still clean you are doing just fine.

You know the O2 sensor idea is not a bad one if your techicaly inclined.

There is also the Colourtune system I am very fond of for setting up carbs.
YouTube - Gunson Color Tune Plug Color
This actulay lets you see the combustion process in action and judge by colour and brightness how rich or lean you are. The learning curve comes from understanding what is lean condition from driving and colour and making the adjustments you need to put things where you need.

In the end the seat of the pants will tell you when your right, the colour tune alone will help you set up in the ball park if your not too serious ( a little richer will ride better in most cases )

Nifty little device there. Most people will run it slightly rich to keep from leaning out the motor and causing pre-ignition/detonation. Not sure if that's possible on these little motors or not though. Usually, leaner = more power, but less reliable, Richer = more reliable, but less power. Also, with those tuning tools, one cannot be confused that things go super rich off throttle - that is normal. You'll want to tune your mixture to wide open throttle.

Not exactly you want to tune your engine for the aplication and best performance in the range where you ride. For best ecconomy and power a bit leaner might better espcialy if racing. For torque and good throtle response you may find a little richer in the mid range and leaner for a cleaner idle.

Its tinkering to figuere out what works best and if you pay close attention sometimes you may find that even changes with weather