How many of us are older than dirt?

I got 'em all now my turn although some may be regional

1. Delaware Punch Soda

2. Robert Hall Clothing

3. Radio Warm-up (tubes)

4. Baking Soda powered prizes in Cracker Jacks (Subs)

5. Topper (not the scooter but the guy with two ghosts)

6. Kaisers (not the German but the car)

7. Ice Houses (where you pickd up ice for your fridge)

8. Songbird (not the singer but the Cessna airplane)

9. Xray machines in shoe stores to make sure you shoes fit.

10. Hall and crossing patrol white belts, badges, and sashes in grade school.

11. Secret decoder badges that toy ordered and decoded radio messages

12. ...and last... being a poor Cushman/Sears Allstate scooter kid and beating up all the rich Vespa-Labretta kids... lolololololoololol. Sorry... we were just kids.

azpaul50 : But you sure had a lot of fun, I remember all your list except the shoe store Xray machine. Sky King was a great Saturday morning show and the Ice Houses where you put the money in and hoped there was still blocks of ice ready to slide down the outside chute. Robert Hall was up town and the place to go if you could afford it.
Great post. Steve Heaping the dirt onto the pile :scooter:

To add one how about the canvas water bags hung off the front bumper of the car for the passengers to drink or the car's radiator on hot day's some had two bags.

Last edited:

mybiz

Wow now thats going back way back..:eek:
Shoe Fitting X-Ray Machine or Shoe Fitting ... This dangerous device was a common fixture in shoe stores during the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. ... I don't remember if I ever got a shoe x ray but it would have had to be still in use in the 60's...

Oldsalt

I remember the shoe X-ray devices in shoe stores. Resulted in a massive law suits. Many shoe salesmen, to get shy people to stick their foot in the appature, would do it themselves to show that it did not hurt. After 10,000 customers and 10,000 X-rays it did hurt. Feet started falling off.

How 'bout them 'radium' hands and numerals on wrist watches. You could tell the time even in the dark! This was in the 40s and 50s. The problem was that radium is somewhat radioactive. The bunches of people that sat and put the radium on the watch dials ended up having their hands fall off. The good ol' days.

I worked at an outfit that did occational, maybe once a week for a few hours, sawing of asbestos sheets in one of the shops during the 60s. I was young [sorta] but somehow believed that it was a bad idea to even go in that building. Was young but not a dummy even back then. I do remember seeing a guy cleaning out the big band saw useing an air nozzle. Like I said, I worked at the other end of the complex in another building. Have often wondered what happened to them folks that were often covered with dust.

When I worked for Fruehauf Trailer Co. [Fresno] welding up aluminum tankers we had 55 gal. drums of trichloroethene with bungs so we could get cans full of it to wipe down the areas that were to be SIGMA welded. As often as not inside the tank. Suddenly all of the drums were taken away and some other solvent was supplied. We bitched and moaned because it did not do a super job of removeing oil. Later I found that it was outlawed because it was a carsinagenic. Ya. The good ol' days.

Flash! Here is what is going to happen in the 2020s. It will become evident that texting not only prevents a person from ever leaning how to write a complete sentence [and thereby only marginably employable] but will also make them bipolar. In the good ol' days that was known as being manic-depressive. A much more descriptive term I thought. Back then we also commonly used the word 'homosexual', or something more colorful, when referring to folks that would rather hear a fat boy fart than a pretty girl sing. Times change; now they are 'gay'.

george3

Metal skate wheels, I still have a couple wheels. My dad used to make trucks out of 4x4s with them wheels on them when i was a kid. helms trucks, Had a swing set that was so heavy duty that I used to pull engines with it, tranny intact. pack of cigs. and a soda at a gas station out of a machine .50 for both.

I remember getting my feet xrayed as a kid. sticking them in a slot at the bottom of what looked like a cigarette vending machine with a viewer on top. The shoe store was in San Antonio, almost facing the Alamo down the street towards Joske's! As someone said, they let me see the saleman's feet by holding me up to the viewer so I wouldn't be afraid. It musta been like 1950-51 or so. I remember seeing his foot outline along with the outline of the shoe. Looked to me like his shoes didn't fit but mom crammed mine in there anyway!!! Aw well, better than my head, I guess. VERY traditional family!

MiniBike Paul

"I remember getting my feet xrayed as a kid. sticking them in a slot at the bottom of what looked like a cigarette vending machine with a viewer on top."

az paul from minibike paul, they had that x-ray machine in the early fifties at the shoe store we went to in Studio City, CA, on Ventura Blvd. It was TECHNOLOGY, the adults raved about it.