How much horsepower can a standard clutch handle ?

So my predator is pretty much maxxed out(on the excessive side) besides needing a big bore kit( which won't be done) and it is on a 6:1 gear ratio with 15" tires but the clutch gets hot quick. It's a regular $15 clutch.

I haven't had a chance to wind out the gear yet but it will still grab and pull me and the repowered john deere mower pretty nicely. The stock 80 pound engine has been removed along with the 50-ish pound mower deck.

Just wondering if their are any guesstimates on how much horsepower or torque these regular clutches can handle.

Those clutches do get hot normally. At 15 inches, you are near the maximum tire size for a clutch-only drive, even at 6:1, and especially with a four wheeled machine. Even the cheap yard (karts) don't use that clutch on them.

The weight of the machine and rider is a very important factor.

Look into torque converter setups. You are asking an entry level mini bike clutch to do the work of a torque converter.

Those clutches do get hot normally. At 15 inches, you are near the maximum tire size for a clutch-only drive, even at 6:1, and especially with a four wheeled machine. Even the cheap yard (karts) don't use that clutch on them.

The weight of the machine and rider is a very important factor.

Look into torque converter setups. You are asking an entry level mini bike clutch to do the work of a torque converter.
Before i decided to go clutch i had the tav-30 with the yellow spring on the tightest setting. pre-wound of course.
The belt just sinks straight to the bottom of the pulley. This engine isn't weak.

The mower probably weighs about 130lbs total. With me on it about 275 lbs total.

The clutch i think grabs around 20-ish mph@ maybe 2500rpm?(idk) but thats when i ran out of space. Until i get a really nice stretch of road i'll let you know how it turned out.
Hopefully the clutch will last long enough for me to come back hahaha. If not i'll be calling for a truck.

Wondering how fast i'll beat my old record of 58mph.

Based on the answers he has received in the other threads he has posted this particular OP only hears what he WANTS to hear.
Michael

Based on the answers he has received in the other threads he has posted this particular OP only hears what he WANTS to hear. Michael
Yeah, but Michael, you just described half the forum. Personally, I need to send PM's to the Pivot Men, to advise them that it's okay to release their posse from the Havasu Dave Ignore status. LOL, I'm not seeing a lot of generational difference here.

I suppose a lapse in grasping facetiousness could indicate an intellectual waste land, but hey, at the end of the day, half of us are dumber than average.

Yeah, but Michael, you just described half the forum. Personally, I need to send PM's to the Pivot Men, to advise them that it's okay to release their posse from the Havasu Dave Ignore status. LOL, I'm not seeing a lot of generational difference here.

I suppose a lapse in grasping facetiousness could indicate an intellectual waste land, but hey, at the end of the day, half of us are dumber than average.
I believe it should have been "half of them" are dumber than average, not US!!!!
Just sayin....
Mike

SAS289

WTF? If the TAV don't work for you and you have this amazing engine that you want to break speed records with, then buy an amazing clutch to go with it.