How To: Installing Predator motor in Rupp Blackwidow

I just finished installing a harbor freight predator motor in my Rupp Blackwidow. I saw a few people with pictures of it done on here, and ive seen a couple people asking about it, but didn't see anyone actually talking about what it takes. Its pretty simple so I thought I would go ahead and post up some info.

First off, the Predator motor is ~6.5 hp so there is a decent amount of extra power already in this motor. Ive seen dyno number through research that puts it stock more like 7.5hp. Go to Harbor Freight, grab yourself a $99 coupon and pick one up.

Once you get your motor, first thing is to take off the gastank (you have your own), Intake (it wont fit), and Exhaust (it wont fit). At this point it'll slip right into the stock mounting holes in the frame. From here on we'll take each task individual and go through some options.

Intake
You really dont have an option here, the intake on the stock motor is to big and you cant cut it down to fit in the frame. Your going to have to buy an adapter and run an aftermarket air filter. This will require you to re-jet the carb. Your better off just going to OldMiniBikes warehouse or nrracing and picking up a stage1 kit. These kits also come with a choke bracket, without it your choke lever will fall off. The original airbox is what kept it on.

Exhaust
Here you have a couple options, and is likely the hardest part to overcome.
1. You can flip the exhaust 180. This will allow it to clear the frame of the bike, but also put the exhaust facing forward. At this point you could cut the pipe, flip the muffler, and reweld in the correct direction. This is your cheapest option, bit it will bulge some.
2. You can make your own exhaust. This is what I did. I utilized the minibike builders kit from nrracing. I was able to get it to loop back into the frame and out between the seat and fender. It was super tight, you will need a welder and a buddy to help hold while you work on this. There is still a small bulge, its behind your leg, but Ive touched it while getting on and off (Its Hot!). Get some header wrap to help insulate the pipe and prevent it from melting your skin.
3. You can also get a pre-made pipe. No one makes one for our setup so your left getting on that sticks out the left side.

Clutch
I have heard people on here talk about getting a new clutch from OldMiniBikes Warehouse, but you dont need to. The stock TC-1 utilizes a 3/4" shaft which is what the predator motor has. You will need a 5/8" spacer to line up the front to the back. I used PVC as a temp solution until an aluminum one comes in that I ordered. It could likely be a permanent solution.

Throttle
Throttle is easy. There are three steps, first you need to find the nut that holds the throttle linkage all together. Remove it, and remove the flex washer underneath. Go to your local hardware store and find a standard washer to replace it with. Second, while you are at the hardware store, grab yourself a stiffer return spring. Then, you just hook it up, the predator motor comes with the hookups to run a remote throttle.

At this point you likely have a faster motor, so you may want to remove the governor. There are multiple youtube videos out there that walk through it. If you do, please ensure that you replace the flywheel and the valve springs. We dont want it to blowup and kill you. I clocked myself with this setup at 49.4mph running stock sprockets, wheels, and clutch. There was loads of power left, just out of RPM.

Hope this was helpful, if you have any questions ask and i'll do my best to answer.

Here are some pics to go along with it. Was having issues with the the site allowing me to add them, then ran into a 5min time limit.

Intake

Exhaust

Clutch

Throttle

Here are a couple of it all finished

Welcome to OldMiniBikes.
No oil or fuel issues.hmm good to know a Pred will run that angled.
These questions came up in another thread, so I thought I would throw them up on here.

From an oil perspective, I overfilled the motor so that it was just shy of the full mark while at an angle. This ensured that the crank still had enough oil on it. It used about 3/4 qt of oil. I also left the low oil sensor in the motor as a safety precaution.

From a fuel perspective, I havent noticed any starvation issues. It may be worth building a custom intake manifold to flatten the carb out (and pull the filter toward the frame), but it doesn't seem necessary at this point. If I do go about this, i'll post up information about it.

what are you going to do with the old engine and parts you took off :shrug:
It had a flathead Briggs, not the original tech so I wasn't as concerned with keeping it original. I spent awhile trying to get it running and gave up for now. It's saved off for a rainy day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fistfullabar

Not a "black widow"! Without the factory "stock" ungoverned tec and the Dellorto carb. Just a roadster 2 with a cheap china engine. Fast and fun but not good looking.

Strictly US Vintage thread................:doah: i see clone........:laugh:

guilty of installing a clone too,but it will go back to stock someday
http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/115101-thunder-bolt.html
I doubt it...lol
Great thread.As more and more people are being drawn to the dark side it only makes sense to put these types of threads. It is certainly more enjoyable for a kid to fire up a clone and ride than to be discouraged trying to mess with a 40+ year old engine like we used to have to do. I think this should be a sticky.

Very nice job on the Black widow, me personally I say it's your minibike do what you want to it just don't destroy it for the sake of the hobby. I'm not as small as I was nor do I weigh the same amount I did when I was a kid. I know it might break the old-timers hearts are upset them, who knows they might even like them when they see them, I'm also installing belt Honda motors that will produce big horsepower on my (2) Rupp hustlers (1) Rupp scrambler (1) 1970 Sprint and oh yeah the The black widow. But just to make things super clear I have all the original motors and parts for these bikes in my garage on their own personal shelves and I also have complete original fully restored exact copies of each one of these bikes also. I just wanted to mention that for guys that eat,breathe and bleed Rupp. I will post pics soon once again nice job.