How to line up a 40 series?

The following pic shows a 3/8 offset between the center of the driven and the inside of the drivers stationary angled drive plate.
Before I cut .550 out of my jackshaft mount ... is the 3/8" offset correct?
44sdim.gif

If you are using a 3/4" wide belt then Yes, 3/8" is correct.
The offset is to keep the belt centered as the two clutches sheaves slide in and out doing their thing.
The offset is half the belt width used.

Danford1

If you are using a 3/4" wide belt then Yes, 3/8" is correct.
The offset is to keep the belt centered as the two clutches sheaves slide in and out doing their thing.
The offset is half the belt width used.

Danford1
Its a 7/8" belt ...
The movable sheaves are on opposite sides.

The diagram above is referencing a 40 series ...

Correct the moveable sheaves are on opposite sides. Lets try this another way. I may have answered to quick the first time when I said for a 3/4" wide belt.

To keep the belt straight between the clutches the offset should be 1/2 the width of the bottom portion of the belt. The belt may be 7/8" on top and say 3/4" on the bottom. The offset keeps the belt centered for maximum belt life and performance.
When you picture what is happening with both clutches you can see why the offset is there.

I hope I'm not confusing you... My first post statement wasn't entirely accurate.I'll try and see if I can find an internet link to explain this much better than I am doing. My brain knows what I want to say but my fingers don't type it very good :-(
Danford1

Last edited:
Here is a diagram showing how the belt will move toward the engine from low range to high range.
The proper offset keeps the belt straight in its transitions from low to high.
I'll keep looking.
Danford1

View attachment 97969

Last edited:
Well.... what you found and posted is the best I could find also. I would just set the offset to approx 3/8" and run it.
It would have to be as good as it going to get. If it were more critical, I think Comet would have given a definite dimension rather than approx dimensions...

Danford1