how to: throttle linkage hookup clone engine, easy

I have been struggling as of late hooking up my throttle linkage on my clone engines and I came up with an easy way and a safe way to do it so I figured I would share it with anyone who may need the advice.

first I went to northern tool and bought their throttle linkage kit . then I threw away 90 percent of it because you don't need it all .
as you can see in the picture I ran my throttle cable into a basic bridal cable clamp secured to the air cleaner housing plate. what's the cable is secure and pointing in the direction of the throttle arm I simply took a small black metal cable clamp that slides right on to the throttle arm and threaded my throttle cable through it. the black metal throttle clip secures by slipping on to the throttle arm itself , it simply slides right on but notice that it does have a hole in it for a threaded screw . i then took a screw in threaded it through the metal clip and through the throttle arm to secure the clip to the throttle arm . once the clip was secured i threaded my throttle cable through it and then used a simple cable stop on the other side to keep it from slipping through the clip .

once the cable is securely connected to the throttle arm I connected two return springs that I pulled off of an old tecumseh motor and attached both of them to the throttle arm and then to a bolt on the engine side panel. this way if my cable breaks or I have a runaway throttle situation the throttle will close by itself and I won't go screaming into a car or a ditch . using two very strong springs it also makes my throttle twist grip return to the rest position by itself which is rather nice .

I know all of this sounds confusing so I have included some close up pictures I hope this helps somebody

here is 1 more picture of the whole throttle linkage setup. notice that the to return springs are connected directly to the engine side panel bolt and the t
hrottle arm

jrzmac

here is 1 more picture of the whole throttle linkage setup. notice that the to return springs are connected directly to the engine side panel bolt and the t
hrottle arm
say you didn't have one of those black clips that you used, could you just thread the wire through the hole on the throttle arm where the screw is holding the black clip and put the barrel clamp on the underside? I don't think I've ever seen a clamp like that, and it may be hard to come by!

the most important thing for me is to make sure that I have a very strong return spring set up that way if my throttle cable sticks or something goes wrong I know that the throttle will return to the rest position and it will not take off without me wanting it to

the black metal clip it came with the throttle connecting kit from northern tools . I bought the throttle kit for a go kart and another kit that was just a bag of parts I'm not sure which 1 it came out of but I remember that both kits were no more than 6 dollars each

Those little clips are sheet metal "Pal" nuts...Used on metal cabinets and other sheet metal,automotive parts store "HELP"racks have them in different screw sizings....Cheap prices too!....Scootercat....

no the governor will still restricted the engine revving because the throttle will only advance as far as the govener arm will allow it to . if I had linked the throttle directly to the carburetor then it would have bypassed the governor and that would be dangerous without a billet flywheel and a lot more aftermarket parts . do not I repeat do not ever bypass or remove the governor without modifying the engine correctly . there's a video on here somewhere just do a search and it will show you what happens . basically your engine will explode in turn into a giant ball of shrapnel that could kill you or anyone else nearby .

I have so much return spring pressure on the governor arm that it only allows the throttle to open about 80 percent which is what I want and the return springs are so strong that when you let go of the throttle grip it snaps back into the rest position . this may sound crappy to some because it does limit the amount of rev the engine can have but I'm looking for safety not to break any land speed records . and believe me she gets it when she wants to this sucker moves !!!:scooter::thumbsup::eek:

Hey Ian just to be fair I went back and studied your pictures , and if it works for you then use it .
However I would not recomend it as an acceptable hook up for a how to thread that some of our younger members may try to duplicate.
I am sure I viewed some other threads that show a more user friendly way of doing it.
Rob