HS40 Billet Rod

I'm doing a hop up of an HS40 at the moment and I wanted to report my findings on billet connecting rods for these engines. Nowadays, nobody sells new billet connecting rods designed for the HS40, along with its under bored and over bored siblings, the H35 and HS50. ARC racing does sell a billet connecting rod, part number ARC6282, for the Tecumseh 5.5 HP OHV, which I believe is the OHH55. I was looking at the specs for the HS40 in the service manual and I noticed the stroke and crank pin journal diameter were the same for the HS40 and the OHH55! So I decided it was worth a shot, ordered the ARC rod, and lo and behold, it fits perfectly! I suspect it will likewise fit the H35 and HS50 engines. I have included photos of the original HS40 rod and the new ARC rod.

Attachments

a few of us use that rod in the hs50 engines and they work well. not sure they would fit a h35 I think someone on here had case interference.

capguncowboy

I thought I turned my flywheel into a Billet when I cut all fins off of it. Well, I didn't cut the fins, I dropped a bolt behind the blower housing and it shredded all of the fins off. It definitely weighs less now

i was gonna maybe steel band mine with stainless and heat it up and drop the fly wheel in the freezer, i think the shape may be to odd for that too work.