HS40 flywheel magnets

capguncowboy

So I posted in another thread about my tragic mistake involving an H40 and using a drill as a starter motor.

At any rate, the flywheel magnets came off as a result. I attempted to reattach them using epoxy glue, with much success. However, they no longer clear the magneto as they used to. They hit, causing all sorts of noise, and I'm afraid will cause damage either to the flywheel or to the magneto assembly.

I have some dime-sized neodymium magnets laying around (10 lb pull) that are probably stronger than the stock magnets. Is it possible to use these in the flywheel instead of the stock magnets? Would them having more pull create problems? And does the orientation of the magnets make a difference on the production of a spark?

markus

1. are you sure the flywheel is seating correctly? Are you sure the ignition assy is seated correctly.
2. the "air gap" or spacing is pretty important so just sticking some random spacers in there unless they were cut and shaped correctly would not work.
3. I believe that the orientation is critical, I could be incorrect on that but when I have had to re install magnets (on a lighted flywheel) they were setup a certain way around the wheel, that may have been due to the magnets being all around the wheel.

I used JB weld, and a very thin mill of it and had no problems, you also need to really go over the tapers on both the crank and wheel, remember you knocked it loose previously so it may not be seating correctly as well.

capguncowboy

Before I reattached the magnets, I made sure they were oriented the same way as before by looking at the glue patterns on the back and comparing them to the glue patterns on the flywheel. Once I figured that out, I marked them, and sanded everything -- the backs of the magnets and the inside of the flywheel. When I glued them, I used a very small amount of epoxy and a clamp to make sure they were pushed as tightly against the flywheel as possible.

Is it possible to sand the magnets? I mean, I know it's possible, but is it advisable?

markus

I'm sure you can to an extent but how much are we talking :shrug: if you can roll it over and it just makes a sound as its passing you should be able to do that few times and see the "high" spots I would maybe dress the the stator more so than the magnets. I've had to touch up ones where some debris went through but nothing too major, and usually when you pull an engine apart that been sitting for the last 20+ years all that stuff is rusty so I clean it up for good measure. but if you have to go grinding on something to get it to clear something else going on.

Are you seating the flywheel and torquing the nut/washer down and trying it or are you just setting the flywheel on the crank and hearing the noise?

capguncowboy

I actually took the stator apart and cleaned it from top to bottom a couple of weeks ago. There isn't anything on it that could be hitting. I really didn't see anything on the magnets or the stator showing where it's making contact. I suspect that it's just barely touching. I'll have to go back out and see if it's cranked down tightly or not. It's entirely possible that it just isn't tight enough.

I'll report back after I get a chance to check it

capguncowboy

I checked it out, and I don't think I had it tight enough. I say this because the key was starting to bend, but hadn't broken yet. I tightened everything down and the clicking has stopped.

Now I just need to figure out why it won't start. It has spark, it has fuel. The sparkplug is good. I am about to just put an extra H30 I've got on the bike and throw the :censure: HS40 in the garbage. :censure:

I had bought a replacement carb for an H40 and put it on there. Would that cause it to not want to start?

capguncowboy

have you tried starting it without the carb attached?
a quick spray of go juice in the port and try it?
I got back out and checked it again. It's not getting a spark at the plug. It has some spark at the coil, but not like it should. I think the condensor is bad. I ordered an electronic ignition in a last ditch effort to get this to work. Hopefully this will cure my woes.