HS50, lack of power, lowish RPMs, other issues...?

Just swap them. Run the engine to the larger one, and the smaller one to drive the rear wheel. You're in overdrive with that setup. You're dragging the engine. If you had enough rode, and a downhill start, you would fly.

Last edited:
Just swap them. Run the engine to the larger one, and the smaller on to drive the rear wheel. You're in overdrive with that setup. You're dragging the engine. If you had enough rode, and a downhill start, you would fly.
ahh, OK then... doing that now!

you guys are awesome!

will report back shortly!

ok, unexpected snag.. the 18 tooth sprocket will not fit on the engine side due to interference with the frame.

what now? I want some power, but also want to be able to do 25-30mph on flats..

ideas?

ok, after having found a jackshaft calculation guide on Ebay (of all places)
eBay Guides - JACKSHAFT CALCULATOR

this guy says that between 5.50:1 and 6.50:1 is for trail, would give OK speed, but more torque.

so, provided a 16 tooth fits my jackshaft to frame interference area...

12 tooth clutch to 16 tooth engine side for 1.33 ratio
72 tooth wheel sprocket divided by 16 tooth secondary jackshaft sprocket for a 4.5 ratio...

add those two for a 5.83:1 final ratio....

would that give me OK speed for flats, and good torque for hill/trail?
(I've been reading the sprocket calc threads)

again, thanks!(

ok, orderd a pair of 16t 5/8" sprockets from mfgsupply, I can always play with the 18t sprocket on the final drive side if I want higher speeds for pavement.

now to go put my new tires on!

oh yah, ordered a 14 t also, so I have a wide range to play with 13, 14, 16 and 18:D

one of those will undoubtedly make me happy:D

will report back after delivery/assembly!

OK, final report on this issue... the sprockets made all the difference.

doing 12t clutch to 16tooth jack, then 13t jack to 72 tooth rear.
it can wheelie:D

got some bothersome carb tuning annoyances, but they will get ironed out.

per my buddys MC speedo, it does about 30mph, on flats, and has plenty of power to haul my 6'4" 220lb butt up a hill... happy as heck!

thanks for all the help!