hydraulic brake caliper exploded

basically I was doing some rough riding and I slammed on the hydraulic brakes and the caliper exploded... Any ideas on why this would of happened and maybe ways to avoid it from happening again in the future? The caliper basically cracked and all the fluid drained out, can the line still be used if I just buy a replacement caliper? Also where would you get the brake fluid is it just simply auto brake fluid? Thanks for the help

The Brake line should be fine, and can be filled with normal brake fluid.
Calipers do'nt normally fracture the seals rupture before the steel gives way.
It is possible to have a casting defect in the caliper itself.
Got any pics - especialy of the cracked surface.

Lucky you sere able to stop safely and still write this post:thumbsup:

Neck

Growing up is optional
I'm assuming this is a hydraulic brake conversion on a DB30? Mine did the same thing but it was the opposite side from the piston that broke and then allowed the piston to squirt out of the caliper.

I'm assuming this is a hydraulic brake conversion on a DB30? Mine did the same thing but it was the opposite side from the piston that broke and then allowed the piston to squirt out of the caliper.
yes my caliper basically cracked in two pieces, how did you mount your brakes did you use a screw and a nut or just the screws to leave a little bit of movemnt? Did you bleed them?

It sounds like the casting was poor. It could not take the pressure.
If I can suggest, if there is a motorcycle junk yard near you. Pick up a 100cc or 125cc size brake caliper from the 1980's. Much much stronger.

I am using a 1987 Honda ATC 200X brake system for the jack shaft brake. On the Bigcat.

Bullhead

It sounds like the casting was poor. It could not take the pressure.
If I can suggest, if there is a motorcycle junk yard near you. Pick up a 100cc or 125cc size brake caliper from the 1980's. Much much stronger.

I am using a 1987 Honda ATC 200X brake system for the jack shaft brake. On the Bigcat.

Bullhead
yeah I was looking at atv or dirt bike brakes also thanks for the tips guys
hunting on ebay for some double piston hydraulic brakes.. stopping is as important as going aha

Last edited:
BMI and American Power Sports Sells the Martin Go Kart brakes and they have some small ones and one comes with a bracket and maintains the floating action. I have one of the Handle bar masters that they sell because none of them are made wit Banjo fittings they use 1/4 inch nylon tubing.
Steve :scooter:

$40.00 plus shipping

i have the hydraulic line I just need a hydraulic cylinder I was looking at the hayes mountain bike hydraulic brakes they are double piston and floating