I have a mtd mini cycle

I traded for a mini bike site unseen ,then I seen it I thought the man was crazy trading a motorcycle , I started look on line and its a mini cycle not a motorcycle can anybody tell any thing about them and what it worth, P.S. I also have a 1973 hornet

Last edited:
Welcome to the site! Yeah we dont do appraisals here but it's likely worth what you traded for it! They were sold through sears but I'm not sure if it was exclusively a sears bike. It's got the correct slant intake for the tecumseh engine, could have the original engine based on that.:thumbsup:

I guess someone didn't understand I T R A D E D site unseen ,Did I get burn or did get my money worth , I know some what about mini bikes but not about mini cycles, also I don't see one like this on site

Thanks supernova , it does't run it needs a carb ,brake and thottle cables, wanted see its worth restoring , or parting out on ebay

Thanks supernova , it does't run it needs a carb ,brake and thottle cables, wanted see its worth restoring , or parting out on ebay
It's worth restoring without a doubt, it's a great mincycle. The problem with parting one out is sometimes every part will sell and sometimes only a few key parts will, leaving you with what's left! It's not a rare machine and parts are fairly easy to get. I'd get it running and ride the thing, or sell it running as it'll bring more that way!

supernova they weren't sold through sears they were sold through Montgomery wards and i have only seen 4 including mine and yours

this is the answers I'm looking for , I have a running K&S hornet ,it needs restoring too,I'm going to keep one of them, and sale the other,if it rare it may be a keeper

It look very similar to my Fox, Desert Fox mini cylce. There are a few differences though, it looks like one of the companies copied the other and changed just enough to call it their own. :shrug: Your MTD is a nice looking bike. :thumbsup:If you can take a few more pics of it in the daylight, I'm really intrigued by your MTD. :scooter:

Pics of my Desert Fox are in my photos on page 2, I think. I didn't want to post a bunch of pics of my junk in your thread.

the only one i saw that was original is the one on mini doodle and mine is the 2nd most complete one i have seen. yours is missing a whole lot of pieces like the fiberglass body

supernova they weren't sold through sears they were sold through Montgomery wards and i have only seen 4 including mine and yours
Sears did sell a similar unit but I missed the knee action forks, it's different from the sears MTD bikes in that aspect. MTD did sell minibikes and minicycles through many retailers!:thumbsup:

It look very similar to my Fox, Desert Fox mini cylce. There are a few differences though, it looks like one of the companies copied the other and changed just enough to call it their own. :shrug: Your MTD is a nice looking bike. :thumbsup:If you can take a few more pics of it in the daylight, I'm really intrigued by your MTD. :scooter:

Pics of my Desert Fox are in my photos on page 2, I think. I didn't want to post a bunch of pics of my junk in your thread.
i dont think that is a MTD i think its a fox thunderbolt 71 or 72 and they
used that engine :smile:

I,m going to say it's a Fox bike after they bought the remains of Speedway out. I seen that 2 of that style of frame bike at Portland show the last two years there and the were both Fox bikes, They have the 16 inch wheels on them. The gas tank Is a 14 inch Speedway tank for sure. I had a Desert Fox but those had a Tecumseh 2 stroke on them. The later big bike Fox bikes had a 5hp 4stroke Tecumseh on them. I think Wayne is correct, Its one of the Fox Thunder bolt models.
Here's what the Fox, Desert Fox I had looked like.

delray

wild cat, mini cycle/minibike you posted is a fox thunder bolt:thumbsup:
here is a file photo of two of them together. i also have two of them that need to be restored:doah:

Delray they look great!I decided to sale mine and get out, and work my hornet, I just don't like working a tecumseh engines and carb. I'm briggs man, I have two briggs ready go, they will work on the hornet

I had an mtd not sure the model but it was red had the goofy front fork and had a 2 stroke 5hp tecumseh...this thing was cool. My buddy had the same 1 and 1 other kid had 1. My buddys dad was the wards repair guy...anytime a mini came back broken...his kid got it.
Old post I kno