I Made Sausage Today

Just after Christmas the fancy cooking store near my home had a clearance sale. Meat grinders were 50% off the regular price. What could I do? I'm having a ball w/this thing. I've made a few batches of loose breakfast sausage for patties and ground some beef for hamburgers, but today I made Italian sausage and tried out the stuffer for the first time.

I know some of you guys are meat maniacs. Any tips?

Just after Christmas the fancy cooking store near my home had a clearance sale. Meat grinders were 50% off the regular price. What could I do? I'm having a ball w/this thing. I've made a few batches of loose breakfast sausage for patties and ground some beef for hamburgers, but today I made Italian sausage and tried out the stuffer for the first time.

I know some of you guys are meat maniacs. Any tips?

...................................................................................:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:..........

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !

Looks awesome Tom!! I would love to make my own!! Use to have a big Australian guy that came to all the Renn Faires and Highland gatherings that used to make the best sausages by hand!! Would let you buy it by the pound uncooked if you brought your own ice chest!! Man I miss him!!!! :laugh:

I used my kitchenaid stand mixer with grinder attachment to make some lamb sausages once. The first batch was too salty so I had to buff it out with pork. Getting the fat to lean proportion right is the key as well as the seasonings.
Also I used natural casings which really gave it a nice texture.

buckeye

Looks pretty good right there.
I want to do my own smoked links.
I have a old school locker my father in law used.
The stuff he made was the best I ever had.
Good stuff Tom.

WOW ! those look tasty. How do you cook them? :thumbsup:
Most people seem to prefer grilling. Me, I like 'em boiled. Pull one or two out of the freezer and throw them straight into a pot of just-boiling water for about twenty minutes, then eat it w/a knife and fork. I've never burned one w/this method and I think they taste great. I am interested to try cgriff's bratwurst recipe, above, that has you grill them for a bit then finish by braising in a beer/butter mixture.

We have an awesome German store near here the old ladies make the brats and sauerkraut. We get the "bockwurst" which is a mild veal sausage, very little fat. A guy I know grew up in Germany, told me his way and it works great for us. I do the beer bath as well, I like to use Spaten for the beer as it is very malty. I can't eat too many onions and peppers nowadays but I still put some onions anyway. It's just too good not to add them lol
We also get the German mustard in the toothpaste tube wow that stuff is great

My father-in-law owns a Smoke House ( Pork Only ) so I have a bit of experience with sausage , mainly deer sausage mixed with 50% pork to give it the fat it needs and we make many flavors including Italian . From the looks of your Tom I'd say you did a bang-up job !!

we have an arab that owns a party store (believe it or not)around the corner ...he makes an awesome Italian sausage ....I took my neighbor there first thing he said...why we going to this arabs place...he now goes there for the arab Italian sausage...15 mile and mound for any locals...

I made sausages again this afternoon. Bratwurst this time. Since I'm still using training wheels I picked a less elaborate recipe than the one in cgriff's post, above. I'll try that one later.

Achieving consistent results w/the stuffer is going to take a lot of practice. I was doing pretty well today until the casing broke while I was twisting the links. Repairing that damage led to some odd sizes.

Once it was all done, I cooked the leftover loose sausage w/some roasted veggies left over from yesterday, and then topped the whole mess w/a couple of eggs from one of our backyard chickens. It was pretty tasty. While all of that was going on, my wife made a loaf of bread and I messed around w/some minibike engines. It's been a good day.

What delicious stuff have you cooked this summer?

Well the sausages look great and the chicken did his part. The plate with the potatoes and a pair of eggs were the best of he lot. Cut off a slice of homemade bread and enjoy being at home. I saw your HOT SHOE in the shop picture.

Steve