i stripped my cat naked (with pics)

so where do i start... if you clicked on this thread your probably a sicko, or you got the humor.

i bought this bike a little while ago, unfortunately i did not know i would be making a post but since ive decided to make a project log im posting pictures.

i did find some pictures if taken through out the process so im just going to post them with a sentence about what your looking at and if you have questions or comments feel free, thats the whole point!.. thanks

1st picture is the best one i could find when i put the 6.5 in it, i did have a 5 horse in it for a day and i think a 3.5 for like two days, thanks to the jackshaft i didnt have to waste chain

2nd picture is with fenders and cool seat the 1st seat i had on it was too ugly for pictures but i should post more when i can how i mounted it, basically i cut out a piece of wood and added those t nuts at the correct spots to mount to the seat rails then i drilled holes in the wood so i could use bolts and connect it to the seat but because the rails went over the holes to mount to the seat i had to counter sink them and use bolts with the screws on the head.

3rd pictures is of the crack repair i did, im not a welder by trade at all but each time i weld something i get more and more confident, the paint looks bad because i already put paint stripper on it, incorrectly i might ad but then read the can and did it right.

4th is a box of parts i took to get a chrome quote and it was 390.00 :censure: maybe thats good but to me when they only charge 100.00 for a frame, i must me missing something

5th picture i primer-ed the frame lightly so i could see where the thick orignal paint stuck, took a marker and made lines so i could focus on a section then went to town with sand paper... till i ran out then i bought some wire wheels and really got :censure: done :smile:

Last edited:
the rest are just areas if worked on and cleaned very well as of tonight the frame just needed to be sanded smoother so theres no swirls, plus its a way of triple checking my work, then a layer of primer till im ready with the other parts

then i have to wire wheel my triple tree piece and rims

the final picture is just me having fun. i used that heavy :censure: motor to hold the frame down while i was sanding it and liked out it filled the frame!, id either have to set it up a different way with a adapter to off set the motor or just run it with no spark plug :stuart:...

i thought id post a little more
attached are pictures of how i did my cat clutch cover

1st picture is what i made, i had this light weight thin angle stuff, measured how much to leave for the bolt and notched the top enough to bend it to a 90., measured how much i wanted it to come off the motor with out hitting the clutch, of course. and made another notch, bent it sized it to the bike and then clamped it in a vise and some vis-clamp thing i have and welded it i did only 2 of them and the first one was great i was pleased the second one on the very last weld blew my mind how well it turned out so of course thats the side i took the picture from :)

2nd picture is the fiberglass cover (thanks ric) on the 6.5. i have these rivet bolts i used, i drilled the holes a little more so it would be counter sunk with out ripping up the fibers. the last hole on the bottom right is just a hole with the rivet bolt, cant have an open hole throwing off the look, but i do plan on making one for the third one, or another one for the back that goes to both holes.
also its hard to see in the picture in fact impossible but the clutch guard and gas tank are flush there is a little lip around the center of the gas tank that still stick out further

i used the metal because it was something i had laying around, the angle in it and the welded 90 make it superrr stong and i think because i made them short it is super hard to bend. i will be making more

the 3rd picture is of the front view i like how its not sticking out of the side or something, kind of hidden. and there is enough room to still install it and remove it fairly easily with a socket and swivel extension i can tighten it very whell and have ridden the bike at least 3 times without them coming off or getting loose or breaking/ bending i trust them a job well done

you can also see in the picture how i had to move the gas tank over , i was able to use the factory mounts to bolt to a thin piece of metal, again i had laying around , just drilled three holes in it and mounted it its a thick piece and after lock tight on the third bolt ive never had a problem with it, the back side was a little tricker but still pulls off a very clean look that moves the gas tank out a little bit so i can fit and take the cap off the tank with out being under the top tube. i do plan on taking it off for a cylinder tank once the bike is completed. probably a big gallon one so it still fills in the frame

Good job on the strip-down lol, a word of caution for when you go to put it back together with the 6.5,,, that motor has plenty of power, you should try to reinforce the motor mount a bit, with something harder than what's there, my problem started with a 5 horse Briggs, (metal stress), I took the 5 off and put on the 6.5 clone, that really stressed the mount, still have the bike though, wouldn't sell it cause it's alot of fun with the 6.5.
dave

SpyGuy

Reinforce everything you can on the bike if you're going for the 6.5hp ... safety first and always.

Looks like a cool build so far, please keep us updated ...

1st picture, started working on the rims the other day and almost have them finished, stripped them and then wire wheeled

3rd pictures what they looked like before i wire wheeled them

in the 4th is shows kind of a before and after or the difference between how i could have left them and painted over and taking it down to the metal

5th is just one of the pieces after primer and paint i have to do the silver ring on two of them then get the stars chromed and clear coat and put them back together then figure out which route i want to take for bearings does anyone know a place i can get the original type?

Last edited:
cont'd

1st pic is two rim halves and two seat rails
the seat rails are complete but the rims still have some stages to go

2nd picture, here is one side of the rear rim, i had a star that was chrome and nice so i went out and got some hardware from a shop it cost 9 cents a bolt and 7 a nut i got five so i could put the rim together and 4 more for the sprocket. still need some bearings

3rd pic, the other side of the rear rim with the new hardware and i was careful to tighten the bolts with out putting rings around them the side with the chrome stars i used a ratchet and the side where they might possibly make a ring i just held stationary, there was a slight turn when i tightened them but i think because of the superior paint job they didnt make a mark , the tires both cleaned up nicely two, i greased up the two halves as well as the shaft that goes through because i didnt want to scratch it while putting the rims together and i greased between them because when i took them apart there was grease, maybe a rust preventative?

4th is the sprockets back side or front if you want to mount it that way, it wasnt as bad as the front but i didnt take a picture of it before i cleaned it

5th is the face oof the sprocket after wire wheeling, sanding and slight polish, i havent put my polishing wheel on my table grinder yet but when i do wheew

well i wanted to wait so i wouldnt have to worry about scratches but i got antsy and had everything here and the sun was great with little to no wind so i painted my bike what do you think ?

1st picture is my contraption for painting my mini bike as well as after the coats and coats of silver flake, you have to paint the parts together so they match

2nd picture seee the flake at all?

3rd picture i know you can see the undercoat here ... yes it all showed up under the paint keep looking

4th picture i should have left the paint like this its pretty radical in person, little to flamboyant/ sparkly for me though

5th picture here is a picture with the first layer one it its hard to say first layer because of the way i painted it but its the first full coat

Last edited:
1st picture the rest of the bike with the first coat, i think well in my opinion its darker towards the back of the plate but i fixed that with the other coat.. its an awesome color but more of a light blue then a blue so i went a little darker

2nd picture the bike in the garage under the florescent bulbs and the rims next to it, reminds me of a hot wheel .. what do you think maybe painting a red line around my original cat tires?

3rd picture i dont know if this will blow up on ur computer but in person you can really see the flake underneath but like i said not too flamboyant, still this was the first day and i made it maybe a half a tone tone darker with spraying the top of the bike more, a technique i learned from doing bicycles because the top of the bike is always exposed to the sun , but not like a full spray because the bike would then be two tone

4th since the paint is really hard to capture how it looks in person i took the same pictures with flash and no flash, i might just have to take it out in the sun to get a accurate picture

5th picture ooohhh aHHH haha it was all about the prep work that made it soooo smooooth

yes someone should have never showed me how to post pictures :lol:

1st picture this picture i took today... well since its 330 am i really took these yesterday, this is the final product the final blue, i even cleaned up the bolt and greased it all to put it on because yes its just going to sit somewhere 100 ft away from anything that could hit it i still got antsy looking for stuff to do

2nd picture a close up of the neck with the final coat, in the pictures i notice dark and light spots but im 99 percent sure its just the lighting, outside in the sun and if i take a picture with flash they arnt there,

not bad for coming out of a spray can :evil_laughter:

3rd picture is another shot of my rims still need to chrome my front stars but still i cant get over how the sprocket cleaned up

Last edited:
wow that is an awesome color! i'm going to sandblast and paint my Go-Kart that same blue, and a metallic orange when it gets nice outside.

im just going to go on posting pics of the progress not worth it to explain just click and see for yourself

since im not going to be paying for chrome any time soon i gave cleaning up the stars a try and holy:censure: am i glad i did they came out amazing, same with the forks they are ok but the fenders have no chance so i decided not to even put them on the bike till they are re chromes, id like to chrome the bars too however i put those one because its much easier to take them on and off

and never mind the discoloration on the motor plate in the last picture it had trash and dust covering it there is more pics to prove it to come

its basically riding weather all year round in California heh heh

should take about a week or less to finish i just need new bearings for the jackshaft

did a little work to it today also got a picture in with the sun up

i had to cut down my plates because they were rectangular just set them on top of my old ones and made a line after i cut them i sprayed a little sliver paint on them for some reason i didnt get a picture of the front of them

i ordered 2 orders of 3 feet of nickle plated chain and used one today for the rear i only had to take one link off

and i put the brake on and adjusted, i did it the other day just forgot to post about it, i like the look and ive bought new pucks for ti and rode it before it worked good but after 2 weeks or so i had to adjust and then adjust so im thinking i might just go with a band brake around the clutch hidden under the clutch cover and keep that one on for looks