Ignorance is bliss.....

Jamie1972

The statement is true....(IMO) there is a "71 silver RUPP" engine on ebay.
Ignorance....( open bidder w/ 22 feedback opens at 485.00+53.00 shipping)
Bliss......Because the seller has him "hook, line and sinker" on a silver 71 that never exsisted on a RUPP.!
Can you say.......DOAH! HAND TO FORHEAD.....wait for it!......NOW!:doah:
Sorry I don't have the link......

Last edited:
I thought the crankshaft was longer on the Rupp engines so the driven can be bolted on without a spacer but I'm no Rupp expert. This seller is on another planet with his prices on most if not all items he sells. His gas tanks have been crazy expensive even in the wake of the massive stash of round and oval tanks that a few folks bought and have been selling for quite reasonable prices. The guy must not need the money asking those insane prices, I am shocked to see the amount bid on this engine that actually looks to have been on a Columbia MTD rather than any Rupp. And I think the seller is a member but not an active one.

If you look at the pictures close Karl, you'll see that the decal has been replaced with that one. The outline of the flag style decal is still there.

To make it even more fun and interesting, they actually have a 4 h.p. decal for sale in their other listings. I wonder why they'd put an incorrect decal on the shroud other than to sell something that it's not.

One other question about the ad that I'm curious about, didn't Powerdyne use the recoil decal like that? Gerry, do you know? I was thinking you may have noted an engine with this at one time or another.

Last edited:
If you look at the pictures close Karl, you'll see that the decal has been replaced with that one. The outline of the flag style decal is still there.

To make it even more fun and interesting, they actually have a 4 h.p. decal for sale in their other listings. I wonder why they'd put an incorrect decal on the shroud other than to sell something that it's not.

One other question about the ad that I'm curious about, didn't Powerdyne use the recoil decal like that? Gerry, do you know? I was thinking you may have noted an engine with this at one time or another.
Good eye on the decal. I see it.

Good eye on the decal. I see it.
Thanks Karen, I'm kind of with you on the decals in that I'd like to know the applications for the variety as well. I like the flag best as most probably do but I'd rather not use an incorrect one on my restorations. Not that the majority would know the difference (including myself) but I'm a stickler for details.

capguncowboy

Thanks Karen, I'm kind of with you on the decals in that I'd like to know the applications for the variety as well. I like the flag best as most probably do but I'd rather not use an incorrect one on my restorations. Not that the majority would know the difference (including myself) but I'm a stickler for details.
Rupp did use the balloon decal in 1970, but switched to the large silver Rupp stickers in 1971. They also switched to black engines that same year, and had the white pinstripe around the outside of the recoil housing.

This engine is a 71 and the model code doesn't match any of their models used. so it wasn't used on any Rupps that I'm aware of. If the paint is original, then it might have been used on an MTD bike, but i don't think any of those had lights. Is the lighting coil original?