Intek 5.5 Governor Surges

RobK

I have a 5.5 Intek on a tiller a friend gave me because it wouldn't start. A quick clean of the carb and I got it started. However the governor is constantly surging the engine at low speed, full throttle or anywhere in between. It's the worst when the choke is wide open. If I choke it way down it surges less. Needless the say the carb has no adjustments. I can start drilling out the main jet, but I don't want to start tampering with something that I can't undo. I have the feeling this is a common problem on late model, low emissions engines of various makes. Suggestions?

I have 9 of these motors and I found when they do that its a carb problem. I've cleaned them in an ultrasonic cleaner and they would still do it. If after 3 super cleanings and it still does it I replace the carb. Try cleaning and install a rebuild kit first, make sure you remove the small plug cover inside and outside of carb. They cover 3 very small holes. There are several members on here that boil the carb in vinegar, you might try that. Good Luck