Is this a Ruttman? What model & year?

O.K, I'll go first!
I have an old minibike that looks like a Ruttman Pack Mule or Wild Cat but it doesn't have a jackshaft or shocks. The word Wildcat is stamped in the top of the blue vinyl seat and instead of a jackshaft, I have an idler wheel on the LH side and brake shoes that expand inside the sprocket hub. It doesn't look like the frame has been modified, looks original. I've seen a number of different versions of these bikes and am trying to figure out how old this one might be and what model exactly. It seems to have the original Goodyear tires. The original colors were blue with white wheels. Can anyone help me identify this one? I don't know how to attach pictures, but I put one in my gallery. I have started to restore it, so I'll post better ones when I'm done. I am thinking of offering this for trade for a smaller Ruttman, like the purple one I had when I was a kid in 1967 (I'll try to add that one to my gallery, too).
Thanks, Chuck S

Here you go.

I've only seen these called Harrison Wildcats. oldsledz is trying to get info too. I contacted a Ruttman collector, and have never got a reply. I'm curious as well.

The difference between the ruttmans and the harrisons where the rear fender mounts on the harrisons were angled shaped like a triangle and the ruttmans were straight aross. Thats what i heard

The guy replied finally that Harrisons were Ruttmans. The frames were bought from Ruttman and then they added their mounts and such. Also said some of the Thomas frames were bought from Ruttman. This explains why the Thomas frame I have looks identical to this one other than the frame looping at the steering head, instead of extending past the head on top and butted to the steering head at the downtubes. It has the same forks, pegs, super wide handlebars, tires, wheels, rear drum brake, chain idler bracket. I always suspected this, now I'm a little more convinced.

Thanks, all, for the information on my mini. I'll post more pics after I finish it. I may need to find one of those sprocket hubs somewhere, though. Any idea what year these were produced??
Thanks, Chuck

oldsledz

I have 2 of them and still am not sure what they are both are the same blue as the one Cimchazz has. One frame is just like Cimchazz's and the other is the same other than the bottom tube goes past the steering head just like the top tube instead of butting to it.

I also asked a Ruttman collector about the difference between a Ruttman and Harrison and was told the only difference was one had one piece wheel and the other has 2 piece wheels.
Both of mine have 2 piece back wheels and 1 piece front wheels.
All the photos I can find show the back fender mount going straight across or you can't see it well enough to tell.

Those are really cool sized rides. I like the Thomas I have 20 times better than the Boonie. They ride better, handle better and are plenty big for grown people. I like the super wide bars better than the Boonie bars too.

I've added some new pictures of the Wildcat I'm working on (see View My Photos). The fender braces are angled, there's a drum brake, and there's an idler wheel for the chain. This should help identify it better as to whether it's a Harrison, or Thomas, or what?? Both wheels are one piece on this bike.

oldsledz

After seeing the photos of the angled fender brace and then looking at the frames I have I can see they do have the bend in the center but are almost flat now. Both have the drum brake and mounting tab for the idler wheel.

Here are photos of the steering head of both bikes the bottom tube is the only difference in the 2 bikes.

The 3rd photo is of a bike that sold on ebay a while back it had a Wildcat seat.

Did Harrison, Thomas and Ruttman all use the WildCat name?

Here is a link to photos. http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x11/oldsledz/bike/

Last edited:
After seeing the photos of the angled fender brace and then looking at the frames I have I can see they do have the bend in the center but are almost flat now. Both have the drum brake and mounting tab for the idler wheel.

Here are photos of the steering head of both bikes the bottom tube is the only difference in the 2 bikes.

The 3rd photo is of a bike that sold on ebay a while back it had a Wildcat seat.

Did Harrison, Thomas and Ruttman all use the WildCat name?

Here is a link to photos. bike pictures by oldsledz - Photobucket
Do you have any pics of the rear brake? I'd like to see how otherbikes have the brake lever positioned and hooked up...I'm wondering if any of these minibikes have brakes that actually work, I haven't seen one yet without bent front forks!!

oldsledz

Only one has the brake hooked up and it is cobbled to a foot peddle The arm is positioned about the same as yours and I think that is how they should be. I don't have a photo.

Frame Rupp or Harrison

This is Phil Harrison, son of Leon, Harrison research inc .The frame was designed by Leon. Rupp was contracted to build the frames.Rupp wonted to use the frames for there own lines, but they were in competition with Harrison and were not allowed to use the frame as Designed by Leon. They made some changes foot pegs, straight bracket for the fenders, the fenders are curved the Wildcat. Some other basic difference are the handlebars there mounts and front shocks.Hope this will help to determine what you have.
Phil Harrison, Harrison Research inc.

what is it? Wild cat

this is a wildcat frame it has the older rims they went to 3spoke split rim on the older models. The 100 model didn't have the converter. 200 did. All came with 4 hp Tecumseh with alternator. Head light and tail lights were available.
Hope this helps, Phil Harrison, Harrison research inc
Look at pic of world champ fyer new rims