italjet mini mini bambino / indian mm5a?

wilker

Hi, i have bought back my first ever motorbike from when i was 2, i am going to restore it but want to no the year, and also if it is an italjet, or an indian so i can restore it as the correct model. The frame number is 01 12539, any help would be much appreciated.
thanks

Last edited:

markus

I would have to say that from your location its most likely an Italjet mini mini bambino mm5b. Because of the plastic mag cover, forward kick, footpegs, chainguard, and guard on the exhaust I would say its post '73. I know still kind of a vague answer

The fenders look homemade Yours should be the little metal ones, and they are very hard to come by. Seat looks to be custom too, pretty cool looking though:thumbsup: I think it also has the wrong handlebars/controls as well. Most all that I have seen the brake handle perches are integral to the bars, and the handlegrips are half the size of a normal bike

As much digging around as I have done on these little bikes (I have what I believe to be a 72 Bambino-which is rare to find here in the states) I have yet to find anyone with any info on deciphering vin numbers or anything like that. I'm doing my best by going by factory photos that I have found snf other things like that.

If your going to redo it, its actually is not going to matter really on what you decide to name it. there really is no difference that I can find between indian or the italjets. It will be easier to turn it into an Indian just because there are guys duplicating the decals/stencils for the mm5a. I'm keeping mine italjet, I've spent a year collecting italjet parts and memorabilia to go along with it.

good luck with it!

wilker

thankyou for the replies, you are write about the mudguards and controls etc, the mudguards are a trials mudguard cut in half! and the seat is a speedway seat, the same one my dad put on it about 12 years ago when he sold it! i think i will be keeping it as an italjet then, as a friend can make the decals no problem, only thing i would need is some pictures of the tank decals, and the little one that goes on the mag cover, any help with this would be appreciated also.
thanks again.

markus

thankyou for the replies, you are write about the mudguards and controls etc, the mudguards are a trials mudguard cut in half! and the seat is a speedway seat, the same one my dad put on it about 12 years ago when he sold it! i think i will be keeping it as an italjet then, as a friend can make the decals no problem, only thing i would need is some pictures of the tank decals, and the little one that goes on the mag cover, any help with this would be appreciated also.
thanks again.

Sorry my photo skills are not very good, These are NOS tank decals and a match to what was on my bike originally:

They are black outline white inset, of course the ruler is in Inches:doah: which won't help you much!

Heres the mag cover decal found on plastic covers, its a little faded but its just the colors of the Italian flag:

this is what the bike with these particular decals looked like, this is an actual dealer flyer for them. this scheme was used for a few years (note the designation on the top right:wink:)

I used to have the measurements upclose shots of the racing stripe design on the top, I was smart enough to to take photos before I stripped the paint on mine. But then like an idiot I deleted them on accident!!!!! the fender stripes were smaller than the tank stripe but the were the same design, I can tell you that much:doah:
can kinda get an idea from these pics of my bike when I first got it (also the font onthe back of the seat):

I know, this is backwards, thats because it is an Iron on transfer for like a hat or shirt, I am including it because this "logo" was also used on some tanks and it was also the logo used on the earlier aluminum mag covers. I don't think its to size for anything in particular.

This was the card that was paper clipped to the iron on when I got it :thumbsup:

wilker

Brilliant! thankyou very much, really appreciate it :thumbsup: , they will help alot when i come to getting some made! i noticed your other thread about the strip down of your mini, any more pictures of how that is coming on?

markus

Brilliant! thankyou very much, really appreciate it :thumbsup: , they will help alot when i come to getting some made! i noticed your other thread about the strip down of your mini, any more pictures of how that is coming on?
I have not done anything more as of yet:no: I bought a storage bin that the entire bike fits in (in pieces) and there it sits. I've been collecting parts whenever I can. I have a very hard time staying focused on one project, which is a nasty habit that I don't reccomend picking up!

Good luck, glad to see you keeping with the Italjet theme:thumbsup: