Jackshaft speed calculator

Here is what I have

Thanks.

What I have is as follows:

10 tooth clutch--to--22 tooth jackshaft input--to--10 tooth jack shaft output--to--60 tooth axle sprocket on a live axle with 16" tires.

Thanks for any help.....Vince

"not looking to go fast, I would rather have some torque"

I agree with JimH

my calculations for 3000-3600 rpm on the engine is about 11-16 mph. You are geared down 2.2 to 1 from your clutch sprocket to your 10 tooth jackshaft sprocket. You are geared down 6 to 1 from that 10 tooth jackshaft sprocket to your 60 tooth wheel gear. Your 16 inch wheel has a circumference of pi x D (the 16 inch diameter), which is about 50 inches. So your bike moves 50 inches every time the back wheel rotates one full revolution. Your clutch sprocket needs to turn about 13.2 times (6 x 2.2) to turn your wheel once, and have move you the 50 inches.

So overall that is a pretty good bit of reduction. So your speed is low, but your torque (power) is high.

You can get rpms for your engine off the Tulsa Engine Warehouse website under the link for engine line drawings.

Excellent. Thank you!!!!!

:thumbsup:Awesome guys. Thanks a lot. It's gonna be for a homemade three wheeler and I am 300+ pounds. All I really want to do is ride some trails if I ever find a place.

Thanks--

I hate to be a simpleton guys, but can you show me how you figure this so I can plug in different values in the future instead of me keep asking.:confused1:

Anyone want to help me figure out how to calculate the gear ratio and estimated top speed of mine:

13 tooth clutch to a 18 tooth jack shaft input to a 9 tooth jack shaft output to a 36 tooth axle sprocket on a tire with a 33" circumference.

It's powered by a stock B&S 5 HP, muffler removed and replaced with a straight 12.5" header, with governor still in place.

In addition to having an answer, I'd also like to learn how to do all the calculations.

:thumbsup:

Last edited: