jackshaft with tav

Starting a ground up project with a custom frame for my son. I plan to use a predator engine with a tav. Assuming I will need to use a jack shaft, I will also be building a rear swing arm. What size sprocket should I put on the jackshaft to keep the ratio 1:1 with the driven clutch pulley from the tav?

If you build the frame with the TAV in mind, you should be able to line up the sprocket behind the driven clutch with the rear sprocket. Thus no jackshaft.

Usually when using the sprocket on the TAV direct to the rear sprocket, it centers the weight pretty well unless the tire is skinny or really wide.

You can remove the backplate from a TAV and run it on a jackshaft so it will put the chain on the opposite side. More work that way. Have to make brackets that are tall enough for the secondary not to hit the framerail, then getting it square in the frame...

Usually when using the sprocket on the TAV direct to the rear sprocket, it centers the weight pretty well unless the tire is skinny or really wide.

You can remove the backplate from a TAV and run it on a jackshaft so it will put the chain on the opposite side. More work that way. Have to make brackets that are tall enough for the secondary not to hit the framerail, then getting it square in the frame...
Never thought of that! I learn something new here every day! Thanks Stangrcr1

:thumbsup:

Lots of bikes have them set up this way.
Certainly, and over the years I have set up several torque converters on jackshafts... but I never knew until you mentioned it, a TAV2 can be dismantled and mounted on a standard jackshaft. :thumbsup:

Seems like the backplate serves as a template for distance between crankshaft and jackshaft.

The TAV2 I linked at OldMiniBikes Warehouse comes with a 12 tooth drive sprocket.

According to the link I posted to Comet Industries, the TAV2 torque converter achieves overdrive at its maximum RPM position:

Can attain .90:1 or 10% overdrive

Various torque converters will no doubt have different specifications for the final drive ratio.

I get it. I was thinking I would run a belt to a jackshaft if I need a jackshaft at all. If I am correct I can run a chain from the secondary sheive of the tav and run matching sprockets on the jackshaft to keep a 1:1 ratio. Phew, I got the sprockets spinning now!

I get it. I was thinking I would run a belt to a jackshaft if I need a jackshaft at all. If I am correct I can run a chain from the secondary sheive of the tav and run matching sprockets on the jackshaft to keep a 1:1 ratio. Phew, I got the sprockets spinning now!
You are correct: the final output ratio from the TAV would be unaltered driving a jackshaft if you use identical size (1:1) sprockets or pulleys.

Note, there is some amount of power loss involved in running what amounts to a 2nd jackshaft, sprockets, bearings, and additional chain. You must have a long frame!

This Alsport (forget about the clutch you see) has a Tav2 on the engine now then runs the chain from the TAV to the jackshaft and then another chain from the jackshaft to the axle as pictured. So 2 chains and a belt are used. For whatever reason this setup seems to have more speed than when it just uses a driver to a driven mounted on.the jackshaft. Two 36t sprockets and two 10t ...I have no problems with the Windber hills and it flies on the parade. Ask anyone I have passed....lol