Just a general question about clutch band brakes....

jspbtown

So I was reading up about clutch band brakes and they come with a warning that says you will have no brakes if the chain breaks...

My question is...how is that any different than all those minibikes that just come with a rear band brake? I mean if the cable brakes you have no brakes either right? And which is more likely to break...a chain or a small cable?

In my opinion, (I preface, this is my opinion. I'm not looking for, nor will I entertain an argument), there is very little difference. If the two components are equally maintained, they will give relative service. One can find fault with every possible brake application, bu, where is the history to support the negative comments? Do chains break? Of course. But was it properly aligned and maintained? The same applies to cables, or even the rods that activate the scrub brakes. In short, use what you like. All of them have been around for a long time and will be here for a long time to come.

desert rat

The statement is correct and it is a statement that should not have to be made BUT..... It's common sense to most but you will get that group that will not take responsibility and tell you it's your fault for not telling them if the part that makes it "go" fails the "stop" part also fails. A chain can fail for many reasons (there are approximately 120 parts just in a drive chain), a rock or stick can derail a chain. Sky diving is safe but we still get a fair share of lawn darts( local morbid humor sorry). So just know the risk of failure with anything and do what is best for you.

The only difference is...if the chain pops...you have no brakes and when(not if) the wheel locks up from the chain munching up...you are going to the ground 99% of the time. Other than that..choose your poison and live with your choice.

jspbtown

Wouldn't "when(not if) the wheel locks up from the chain munching up...you are going to the ground 99% of the time " that be regardless of a clutch brake or not?

Wouldn't "when(not if) the wheel locks up from the chain munching up...you are going to the ground 99% of the time " that be regardless of a clutch brake or not?
It gives you are smidge more control of that with a rear wheel brake...but not always. You can slow it down before it munches up...clutch brake...not so much. So again...you must choose your own poison. I have both on some bikes...scrub brakes though...you can keep those.

I've never resorted to using them, but breaking chains (or cables) has never entered my decision to not use clutch brakes.

I go back to what Jim Donovan (Max Torque) said; "Oh, they're doing that again."

These clutches operate in a harsh environment, bushings running on a shaft, with the entire operation generating heat that kills friction and spring tension. As it is, those oil impregnated bushings require a monthly oiling, and I just can't see the wisdom in putting the clutch through even more abuse by heating up the drum with brake shoes. I fabricated a jack shaft drum system, and had the throttle stick on me, and I toasted that drum. I mean it was HOT.

There is never an instance in my corner of the mini bike world where I resort to clutch brakes, because I am more interested in maintaining a solid drive system than I am at avoiding fabrication or engineering challenges- and that is just me- but the conversation about heat should be foremost in making a decision to use clutch brakes, not possible chain breakage.

There's a "What if" to every scenario, just avoid saying "Watch this!" or being video recorded and your chances of mechanical failure will be greatly reduced. Saying "Watch this!" while being video recorded seems to increase the risk of mechanical failure and should be avoided at all cost.

This is my .02¢
-A2M

"Nurse; the first person seen after the comment hold me beer and watch this Shiite" :p

From what I've read even the Hyrdaulic Disc Brakes have been know to snap the ears right off the caliper at the most inopportune time imaginable...:eek:

As said there isn't a perfect brake system out there. Pick your poison, ride responsibly, even at that sir, the stars are stars and we all pray they align with us when we climb on...

Clutch breaks seem to stretch the chain too.
I added a clutch brake to my doodlebug and kept the drum brake. I moved the drum brake lever to the right side where the throttle grip is and put the clutch brake on the left. Clutch brakes works very well in my experience if you set them up right.
They do have the "CHAIN OFF AND NO BRAKES" PROBLEM"

DaddyJohn

For added security, it’s worth it to clean your master link with a toothbrush and a little bit of solvent, then silicone or Goop the link clip in place.

JMR4

The clutch brake works so awesome because of the the mechanical advantage through the gearing that it is well worth the risk on any bike of mine, now on my grandsons bike I will have a backup scrub brake for my own peace of mind.

MJL

My kids have thrown the chain dozens of times and never broken a brake cable for whatever that is worth. Some European Colemans are coming with front and rear brakes. I'd like to see that here. It'd probably only add $20-30 to the cost of the bike.