K&S Hornet - Deluxe

I am restoring a K&S Hornet Deluxe that I have has since I was a young kid. Are there any modern engines that will drop in the same mounting location and that would use the same torque converter/clutch/jackshaft configuration as the original? I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get the old 4hp Tecumseh running.

What about the 6.5 Predator that HF sells?

Thanks

buckeye

Hey, welcome. Great site with tons of good folks and help.
Shoot up some pics so we can see what you are working with.
Sounds like a great project.
I can't help ya on the engine swap question. Someone will know.

Now, why can't ya get the 4hp going? Junk? Spark? Gas? And air.
What's it doing?
We may be able to help get her running.:thumbsup:

CarPlayLB

I am with Buck here too. Your bike will have a greater appeal with the TEC 4HP motor...unless something catastrophic has happened, ya may need to just get the carb cleaned and your good. Maybe take it to your local lawnmower shop and have them take a look. I have a couple modded Predators, but I like the 4HP TEC I have better...nice little motor!

The jackshaft mount prevents most modern engines from fitting, you would be better off spending the money for a vintage rebuilt engine. I have a Hornet Hardtail deluxe that I get from a guy that had tried to fit a honda clone in it and gave up, I put a rebuilt 3.5hp Tecumseh in it and I'm happy with it.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will try to put some pictures up tonight. The original 4hp runs and sounds like it may be best to rejuvinate it. At a minimum, I need a new float bowl gasket, exhaust, and fuel tank. Can you still get that stuff anywhere?

I like the idea of a rebuilt vintage motor too. I will look into that.

Thanks

The jackshaft mount prevents most modern engines from fitting, you would be better off spending the money for a vintage rebuilt engine. I have a Hornet Hardtail deluxe that I get from a guy that had tried to fit a honda clone in it and gave up, I put a rebuilt 3.5hp Tecumseh in it and I'm happy with it.
very nice!

You have the best riding K&S Hornet made there, mine rides like a dream but lacks the rear suspended seat. Yours has tons of potential, do it justice and you'll have a great machine. Mine is part of my permanent collection.

rmm727

Tanks are on ebay all the time. Float and bowl gasket could be bought from any lawnmower shop that sells Tecumseh parts. I just bought a brass float last week. They make a plastic one now too.

Today I messed with it a little. Basically took inventory of what I need to replace. So far nothing major. Just some new bolts and maybe the jack shaft bearings. I am going to get everything running good and then take back apart and have the frame powder coated a dark red which was the original color. I reinstalled the jack shaft today and also started reupholstering the seat. View attachment 62800 [/ATTACH]

jeep4me

These hornets are great. I'm currently trying to put one back together myself. It was just the frame when I got it and was missing the lower front forks, wheels, motor..... But still had the jackshaft with brake assembly.
I've since added the lower forks, wheels/tires, motor, tav setup and horn.... Just need a few more small parts and it's ready to ride.

Last edited:
These hornets are great. I'm currently trying to put one back together myself. It was just the frame when I got it and was missing the lower front forks, wheels, motor..... But still had the jackshaft with brake assembly.
I've since added the lower forks, wheels/tires, motor, tav setup and horn.... Just need a few more small parts and it's ready to ride.

Cool, I have a red Hornet deluxe. Where did you find a TAV? I need one for mine. My bike needs that and a engine to be complete.

Last edited:

jeep4me

Cool, I have a red Hornet deluxe. Where did you find a TAV? I need one for mine. My bike needs that and a engine to be complete.
I'm using a Comet TAV2 setup. Just using the driver clutch and driven, no back plate. I replaced the jackshaft with a slightly longer one. Spaced the driven out a bit from the jackshaft stand so it would line up with the clutch. Just need to get a belt for it now.