Kawasaki kz1000 police bikes

My niece inherited 2 . A 94' and a 96' kz1000p complete, all there. She gave them to me. Do people collect these? I'm gonna sell them because I got 2 Harleys and 10 mini bikes in my garage. LoL!

WLB

Depending on condition they could be worth quite a bit. My guess would be $2 to 5 thousand. Do you have pictures.

Remember the show CHIPS.Those are the same ones used in the show.The police bikes used the J type engine.Those are 100 horsepower bikes.

Remember the show CHIPS.Those are the same ones used in the show.The police bikes used the J type engine.Those are 100 horsepower bikes.
I pulled this from Wikipedia :thumbsup:
The engine was updated in 1981 from the Z1 type with a displacement of 1015 cc to the "J model" type with a displacement of 998 cc. Although similar in appearance not all parts are interchangeable between the two types. Power: 88 hp (66 kW) @ 9,000 rpm

Depending on condition they could be worth quite a bit.
Hagerty's price guide puts these at about $2,500, probably less as-is, and perhaps more if they're cleaned up a bit and running. If you want top dollar, avoid the urge to mod or "improve" them. No header tape!

https://www.hagerty.com/apps/valuationtools/1995-Kawasaki-KZ1000P_Police

Condition Ratings
#1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."

#2 vehicles could win a local or regional show. They can be former #1 vehicles that have been driven or have aged. Seasoned observers will have to look closely for flaws, but will be able to find some not seen by the general public. The paint, chrome, glass and finishes will all appear as excellent. No excessive smoke will be seen on startup, no unusual noises will emanate from the engine. The vehicle will drive as a new vehicle of its era would. The one word description for #2 vehicles is "excellent."

#3 vehicles could possess some, but not all of the issues of a #4 vehicle, but they will be balanced by other factors such as a fresh paint job or a new, correct interior where applicable. #3 vehicles drive and run well, but might have some incorrect parts. These vehicles are not used for daily transportation but are ready for a long tour without excuses, and the casual passerby will not find any visual flaws. "Good" is the one word description of a #3 vehicle.

#4 vehicles are daily drivers, with flaws visible to the naked eye. The chrome might have pitting or scratches, the windshield might be chipped. Paintwork is imperfect, and perhaps the body has a minor dent. Split seams or a cracked dash, where applicable, might be present. No major parts are missing, but the wheels could differ from the originals, or other non- stock additions might be present. A #4 vehicle can also be a deteriorated restoration. "Fair" is the one word that describes a #4 vehicle.

6doggie3

I tell you what ! Go ahead and sell one of them ?
Trade me one for the Alpha? so I can use this Tracy body and fairing on 1 of them? hawaii 177.jpg hawaii 178.jpg hawaii 179.jpg
Or My Trojan? IMG_1122.JPG

Last edited:

chrisr

I'm a big KZ fan; I have two 76 KZ900s, 81 GPZ1100, and a 81 CSR1000 and over the last few years restored a half dozen or so. Running condition bikes like yours around here in central US would be around 2500 each. If you can get yours running it may be worth your time.

My niece inherited 2 . A 94' and a 96' kz1000p complete, all there. She gave them to me. Do people collect these? I'm gonna sell them because I got 2 Harleys and 10 mini bikes in my garage. LoL!

Last edited:

WLB

According to a couple of local collector/restorers the Japanese are currently paying the most for American performance bikes. I know of one pristine KZ900 that went for $12,000 plus shipping. Several were sold in the $8000 range. NOS gas tanks, side covers, and tail piece bring crazy money.

According to a couple of local collector/restorers the Japanese are currently paying the most for American performance bikes. I know of one pristine KZ900 that went for $12,000 plus shipping. Several were sold in the $8000 range. NOS gas tanks, side covers, and tail piece bring crazy money.
Yeah, the 900 will bring that kind of money, as well as the H models of course. If these "P" series bikes were first generation Z1 bikes, the nostalgia factor (Chips et.al.) would bring in more money to the right collector.

I don't place a lot of faith or import on "Blue Book" type values- those are for salesman and bankers, not collectors or buyers. Still, for these bikes I agree that the 2500 mark is fairly close. They are not the collectable versions, except to a narrow audience. If they were 1977 Z1's, they'd be worth a lot more.

If these were mine, I'd sell one and use the proceeds to restore and ride the other one. Any Kawasaki fan would be interested in these if the price was right. My two cent's worth. These are nice pieces, but not to be confused with Z1 bikes.

Thanks for everybody's input.I'm just an old Harley guy. when my Neice told me she inherited a house and there was 2 bikes she wanted me to have , I was like yea! Not super excited that they are Kawi Cop bikes but Hell someone will enjoy them. It's a win win situation.

Thanks for everybody's input.I'm just an old Harley guy. when my Neice told me she inherited a house and there was 2 bikes she wanted me to have , I was like yea! Not super excited that they are Kawi Cop bikes but Hell someone will enjoy them. It's a win win situation.
As another old Harley guy, my first "new" bike was a Kawasaki. I never lost my love for them. In the 70's there was a huge rift between HD guys and "Rice Burners." Who'd have thought an H1, H2, or early KZ would bring in twice the money a comparable-year shovel does?

You really scored big. I hope I wasn't too negative. If you lived closer, I'd already be talking about a deal.

I can get a 1974 z1 900.Not running,but complete and intact,surface rust.The seat and original exhaust are still nice.33,000 miles.

I can get it cheap too.

As another old Harley guy, my first "new" bike was a Kawasaki. I never lost my love for them. In the 70's there was a huge rift between HD guys and "Rice Burners." Who'd have thought an H1, H2, or early KZ would bring in twice the money a comparable-year shovel does?

You really scored big. I hope I wasn't too negative. If you lived closer, I'd already be talking about a deal.
I'm one of the lucky ones who still has his first New bike 83 shovelhead which has a market value, But I would never sell. The good times I've had and still having!