knock, knock, knocking

knock

Im glad you guys enjoyed that. At the time I had a house full of screaming kids and a nagging wife, about the motor Is it a major problem. will it likely need a rebuild or a simple fix ???????????:

Motra

Sorry about that! Didn't mean to turn your question into playtime here and I understand your situation. When you say "wide open throttle," is that with the governor operating (3600 RPM) or is your engine ungoverned? If there is excess wear on the connecting rod you'll hear knocking when the engine is under a load. You can hold the brake and give it throttle at the same time to really load the engine. It could also be piston slap, that makes a knocking sound. If you're running it at much higher RPM than the engine is designed for you could be getting valve float.

if it's knocking that's not good and you're most likely going to have to tear the motor apart.

i doubt it's piston slap. my old Z28 had that (damn early LS1 motors) and it didn't sound like a knock.

65ShelbyClone

If it's actually knocking, then it's probably a worn out rod. Nothing to do but replace it before it takes the whole engine out. It can be done without removing the piston, but probably not a good idea for a first timer.

65ShelbyClone

Take the crank out and then slide the piston down far enough to remove the pin circlip. Find a way to hook the back of the pin and pull it out. The hard part is doing all that while not spinning the piston in the bore.

Take the crank out and then slide the piston down far enough to remove the pin circlip. Find a way to hook the back of the pin and pull it out. The hard part is doing all that while not spinning the piston in the bore.
shit its easier to just take the head off and take the damn piston out.:thumbsup:

They don't have bearings. The rod clamps on the crank. Lack of lubrication will cause ANY engine to fail. I have Briggs and Tecumsehs 40 years old, still running, not knocking.:thumbsup: Low oil levels and lack of oil changes are usually the culprit.