Lawyers and legal BS insurance crap

Big Jim

My neighbor and I have a great relationship. He has 3-4 acres of woods behind his house that I have had access to for the last 14 years I have lived here. It has a creek that runs through it, with big sand bars, woods, paradise.
I have fished, bushwhacked etc. and in the last few years, my boy and I have ridden minibikes through it, we have some nice easy trails cut in to it.
I come home last night with a message he wants to talk to me, in person.
He had a review by his insurance agent on his home policy the agent wanted to know about the use of the land, if someone was using it for recreation.
My neighbor said that I had full access to it, the agent wanted to know what I did there. My neighbor said he skirted around the issue of my boy and I riding, but the agent was asking pointed questions. I ride motorized vehicles, my neighbor told his agent.
If something happened while riding, my insurance company would go after my neighbors insurance company, even if I were clearly at fault.
If I were trespassing, same thing.
Even if I signed a waiver absolving my neighbor of any responsibility for my actions, same thing.
I know my neigbor, if he didn't want me riding he would say so, he has told me dozens of times "I don't care what you do down there, Jim"

My question, what happened to responsibilty for ones self? Why can't one person give another peson permission, and that person is responsible for his/her self?

Last edited:
insurance agent is just trying to sell more insurance to your neighbor.no one has power over your neighbor to tell him what he can do on his own land. No lawyer can sue without your permission.

There are too many people out there making it bad for the average person.

Remember when the woman sued for too hot of coffee from MacDonalds when she spilled it on her crotch in the car????:eek:ut::eek:ut::eek:ut:

oldsledz

If you get hurt and ask your insurance company to pay your medical bills, you are not being responsible for your self the insurance company is and if it happens on someone else's property the insurance company has a right to try and recoup their loss.

danc9

Lease

What the hunters around here do is lease the property for a dollar a year. Have a lawyer right up a lease for personal use of the property, and You become liable for your actions!

DAN

Jim to me it sounds like a load of bull shit , not from the neighbor but his agent . sounds like the shit they pulled on a buddy . he had ins on his hot rod and was paying top $$$$$ big time , and wasnt carrying full coverage . and in the winter he couldnt drop to storage ins . agent said ya cant do that , it has ins or not . well funny thing i had the same company and to put storage on my car just a call and it sleeps .we both had the same basic coverage , both collector cars , his 63 mine 78 .
his agent was just screwing him over for the cash , maybe your neighbor needs to look at a different agent :shrug:

45t

My question, what happened to responsibilty for ones self? Why can't one person give another peson permission, and that person is responsible for his/her self?
It takes a person with a strong morals and integrity to take responsibility for ones self (and that is missing in todays society). This day and age it seems that people do not or are taught not to take responsibility for thier actions and they blame thier misfoutune on others and look for a quick easy buck when they do something stupid to themselves.

Kudos to you for being a responsible person. Unfortunately your neighbor has been influenced and scared by his insurance company into thinking that he will be sued or have an insurance claim filed against him for a slight chance that you may get injured on his property.

Big Jim

I failed to mention that he owns a business, fairly lucrative from what I can tell.
A lot more than just his house or cars is at stake.
Something happens to me or my boy and "the lawyers" get wind of his assets....
I understand, I don't like it, but, I understand. Like my wife said after he left "he may have saved your life."

I need to find some land.

MikeBear

Personal Excess Liability Insurance from MetLife

"Personal excess liability policies provide you an additional level of liability protection beyond the coverage offered by your basic insurance polices.

With personal excess liability insurance, which is similar to "umbrella insurance," you can add another layer of liability coverage to protect you in the event that:

Injuries are sustained in your home or on your property
Accidents involve your automobile, boat, or recreational vehicle
Judgments exceed your current coverage

These days, lawsuits are common and judgments can be substantial. The more assets you own, the more vulnerable you are. Legal costs to defend a suit may not be completely covered by basic insurance. That's why additional coverage through personal excess liability insurance can provide real financial value, as well as priceless peace of mind.

To qualify, you must maintain certain minimum liability limits on your basic auto, home, boat, and recreational vehicle insurance policies."

Get a personal liability rider for $1,000,000 added to your insurance policy. The above is an example from this company. They can be as cheap as $75.00 extra on your home-owners policy per year, depending on your insurance company That's cheap for a years worth of riding privilege, and will give you and your neighbor more peace of mind.

I failed to mention that he owns a business, fairly lucrative from what I can tell.
A lot more than just his house or cars is at stake.
Something happens to me or my boy and "the lawyers" get wind of his assets....
I understand, I don't like it, but, I understand. Like my wife said after he left "he may have saved your life."

I need to find some land.
that does change the game a little.

pomfish

I got a nice Red bumper sticker on my van, put it up high on the rear glass,
It says "1st KILL ALL THE LAWYERS"

I get some dirty looks but mainly I get thumbs up, one lady even took a picture of it and gave me a honk of approval.
Lawyers are what makes EVERYTHING more expensive.
Most if not all Politicians are also lawyers, figures Huh?

Later,
Keith

Oldsalt

I have a sneaking hunch that if there were, in fact, no lawyers no one would EVER pay what they owed someone else. NO ONE would give a damned how careless or negligent they were. Guaranteed that NO insurance company in the known universe would ever pay a claim! The ONLY reason that they tend to pay is that they know that a common person has access to the court system by use of an attorney. Wake up! It would be almost as bad as having no policemen! People hate lawyers for only two possible reasons [that I can think of]: 1. They were guilty of something and hoped to get away with it but didn't because a lawyer was not able to deal with anything but the real facts...not BS that won't wash. 2. In a civil action they were too cheap to get representation and the other party, because he had good legal advice, prevailed! If you have a toothache you see a dentist. Hating dentists won't help a bit.

I have a sneaking hunch that if there were, in fact, no lawyers no one would EVER pay what they owed someone else. NO ONE would give a damned how careless or negligent they were. Guaranteed that NO insurance company in the known universe would ever pay a claim! The ONLY reason that they tend to pay is that they know that a common person has access to the court system by use of an attorney. Wake up! It would be almost as bad as having no policemen! People hate lawyers for only two possible reasons [that I can think of]: 1. They were guilty of something and hoped to get away with it but didn't because a lawyer was not able to deal with anything but the real facts...not BS that won't wash. 2. In a civil action they were too cheap to get representation and the other party, because he had good legal advice, prevailed! If you have a toothache you see a dentist. Hating dentists won't help a bit.
that sounds like lawyer talk to me

pomfish

Your view of this does not make sense to me.

My insurance has gone through the roof because of malicious, frivolous lawsuits by scumbag lawyers that know that the companies would rather settle than go to court, because of.............................Too many Lawyer fees trying to fight the bogus charges.

Now, what does that have to do with me never having been guilty of anything and needing one of these scumbags?

Maybe it's different in your neck of the woods, but around here, Lawyers suck petrified dinosaurs roosters if you get my drift.

I get your point of the threat of lawyers to get companies to pay, but the Evil outweighs the good when it comes to these amoebic vertebrae.
Later,
Keith

pomfish

You know what the difference is between a Lawyer and a Sperm?

At least ONE of them has a chance of becoming HUMAN! :laugh:

You know what the difference is between a Lawyer and a Catfish?

One is a scum eating bottom feeder and the other is just a Fish.