Let's talk about Solar Pannels

Who's using them and what do you recommend?

I have a greenhouse that is using a lot of power, I would like to offset it with solar. Is there a good set up that someone would recomed? I have a couple of pumps running, small fountain /pond types and a seed mat heater.

We have a pretty steady wind hear, would a small turbine be a better return on investment?

Bikerscum

Forget wind. It takes a BIG turbine and a LOT of wind to generate the kind of power you need.

For solar you kind of have to look at things in reverse.... first figure out how much power (KW hours per month) you consume/need. Then you can figure what size system you need.

Once you know your usage, Google PVwatts.... the Fed run site for calculating how much any given size system will put out annually on average at your location. Just accept the default values for system losses etc. and you'll get a good estimate.

Round figures you'll pay about $3-$3.50/watt for a system installed. So, a 6kw (6000 watt) system will cost about $19,500. But, the Feds will pay 30% of it in tax credits, so figure $13,650 net. There may well be state credits as well. Here in Ca the state will buy your overproduction (at a wholesale price) and you can get what's called net metering.... bank kw hours in sunny months for use in non sunny months.

That's a real simplification of the solar arena. The OldMiniBikes of forums for solar is Solar Forum - Solar Energy Discussion Board on Solar Panels and Products tons of good advice there & questions are answered quickly. No solar sales people are allowed on the forums so the info is legit from users. There is a section there for DIY systems as well, and the site owner I believe sells them.

Oh, and if a salesperson mentions a lease or PPA (prepurchase power agreement) run away.

I did mine in Sept. & have no regrets!

Last edited:
If you get hail where you live you want to get panels designed to take a good size stone at terminal velocity, we get some pretty big hailstones here so not many solar powered homes exist.

Back in the early 1980's I worked for a HVAC dealer who did a lot of early solar systems and made good money selling systems and replacement parts as well as service. One day a lady called the office and asked me if I ever heard of a solar system that had no moving parts. My reply was lots of luck with that but I sent her to the local power company as they had a research department. Well there was such a system that was made in southern Oregon. I was called ( The Copper Cricket ) and it worked like an old perk style coffee pot. We did a lot of the special projects for the Power Company ( Portland General Electric ) and we were contracted to install a single panel on a normal family home they did a lot of tests. Just look up The Copper Cricket on Google. I understand they have newer systems that came from that early technical effort.
Steve

Bikerscum

Current solar panels easily handle the freezing cold. They even have a snow load rating for weight.

There's also lots of videos of standing on them, driving a car on them, shooting them with a baseball pitching machine, etc. They're pretty durable.

That style of system used a time clock set to drain the panels every night so it was called a drain back system it worked but all solar parts are expensive and if you don't do your own service work it's a crap shoot if you have much saving. With much thought about just how much hot water do you use ? If you buy appliances that have delayed start times that use up some of the hot water during the day when the sun load is on the panels and will have enough time to recharge the supply tank for nightly or mourning showers or baths. With more and more households that are empty today because both parents are required to work to keep up with the Jones the solar water has a weak foundation. Solar electrical panels work and might be a better choice in some areas. I thing more along the big energy expenders in the home like heating and hot water in a combined system. If you have natural gas my favorite system is the 96% efficient American Polaris water heater tied to a good pump bearing air handler like the First Company makes in Dallas, Texas. With a great high efficiency Media air cleaner to keep every thing clean. You get endless showers of hot water good reliable heat source. I have many of these systems out there with 12 to 15 years of service and not one unhappy customer. Energy is expensive and containment of the spent energy is the first issue to be dealt with. Here I sit in a rented apartment with miserable base board heat and 21 degrees out side this mourning. I hate the winter !!!!!
Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys. There's allot of info to go over, I am going to take some time before I jump into anything.