Lifan facts as last updated 2006

I thought I would share some facts I learned about the company that makes our HF clones and some box stock engines: Lifan was founded by Yin Mingshan in 1992 as a local Choungquing motorcycle repair shop with a staff of nine. As of 2006 update Lifan employed approximately 9,000 people and had an annual turnover of 7.3 billion yuan (900 million U.S.) and had factories in Veitnam, Thiland, and Bulgaria.
Although I like the clones, it saddens me to know we as a country could easily set up an engine and motorcycle manufacturing corporation and create jobs for some of us! This Yin Mingsham dude did it in his home country and thanks to the favored nation trading status China has enjoyed and does not deserve! He became a rich man and gave his countrymen as well as those in the other facilities the job opportunities they are afforded!

I thought I would share some facts I learned about the company that makes our HF clones and some box stock engines: Lifan was founded by Yin Mingshan in 1992 as a local Choungquing motorcycle repair shop with a staff of nine. As of 2006 update Lifan employed approximately 9,000 people and had an annual turnover of 7.3 billion yuan (900 million U.S.) and had factories in Veitnam, Thiland, and Bulgaria.
Although I like the clones, it saddens me to know we as a country could easily set up an engine and motorcycle manufacturing corporation and create jobs for some of us! This Yin Mingsham dude did it in his home country and thanks to the favored nation trading status China has enjoyed and does not deserve! He became a rich man and gave his countrymen as well as those in the other facilities the job opportunities they are afforded!
Why couldn't someone in the US do the same ?

vette66_00

Cause in the US people don't work for crap wages. And if that company was in the US the engines would be $300 and the company would be EPA/CARB regulated into the poor house. Or for that matter would be bankrupt at this time along with everybody else. There would be no bail out money for them thats for sure

Cause in the US people don't work for crap wages. And if that company was in the US the engines would be $300 and the company would be EPA/CARB regulated into the poor house. Or for that matter would be bankrupt at this time along with everybody else. There would be no bail out money for them thats for sure
Understood, but still not out of the question for someone in our Country to do the same.

There are companies here that, due to everything Vette66__00 said do make and sell engines for $300-1000 plus for the higher end race stuff! My point was look at what a chinese entrapenuer can build thanks to our government giving a country whose human rights history, to present are terrible! I just used the Lifan company for an example here given so many of us including me, buy these products! There are few alternatives to buying :chinese: things in the marketplace these days, most evrything wal-mart sells comes from china! I'm not ragging in Lifan, hell I would take my company global if I could compete! I would quote dzlbike if I could, that is what will happen if I tried to compete globally!

Last edited:
Slowly the jobs are returning. I see the high water mark and clearly we are through the worst of it....

Today i work in a steel mill, last year I worked in a mine. Not so long ago both my current and former employer were Canadian companies. What I find troubling today is both former Canadian Icons are owned by Indians and Brazilians.....

Short step to a slave in my own home I think

RobK

That company can build and sell that engine for $99 because China doesn't have pesky things like laws that protect the environment, the worker, the buyer, the surrounding community, intellectual property, etc. No minimum wage, no worker compensation, no safety rules, I could go on and on. Not to mention the design was stolen from Honda. If all I had to do was grease a few palms, I could manufacture just about anything cheaply.

In contrast, B&S and Honda both manufacture nearly all their small engines (for the U.S. market) in the U.S. Both design and build superior products while meeting all those pesky laws. Sure they’re a bit more expensive, but you get what you pay for, and part of what you pay for is clean air, clean water, decent pay, health insurance, etc.