lightnig coil for briggs

Im looking for a lightning coil for my briggs 5hp i got briggs part number brs—710896 will that work on 5hp briggs engines

If your motor is a 130202 series motor the p/n for the alternator is 494254 which replaces 390410. Check with the seller of ebay item 151215696400, maybe he can stear you in the right direction. You do have the correct flywheel?

CarPlayLB

I have the whole motor i need to sell! Complete with lighting coil! If memory serves, isnt it a different block? I am not 100% on that. PM me if you want to make a deal. It is an I/C motor with the iron cylinder too!

Last edited:
I have the whole motor i need to sell! Complete with lighting coil! If memory serves, isnt it a different block? I am not 100% on that. PM me if you want to make a deal. It is an I/C motor with the iron cylinder too!
Carl, I have a motor like yours they are steel sleeved double roller bearing engines with a lighting coil.The best 5hp flat head Briggs ever made IMO.

Yes... To have a lighted briggs you need to have a special..

block..

crank...

flywheel...

blower housing..

and of coarse, lighting coil..

As long as you have the lighting coil, and lighted flywheel, you can bolt them onto any electric start 5 horse.. But you MUST HAVE the electric start, block, crank, and blower housing...

delray

yes, that is the first thing i notes too is a lighted coil 5hp briggs is totally different. i have not look real hard into the lighted coil 5hp briggs, but did they ever build a 5hp lighted coil with points...:shrug:
the only kind i have found are all from the 80"s and up with electronic ignition.
another thing i found out with my lighted coil was that it put out dc current..:thumbsup: and that the briggs chart said it only had 1.5amps. i did a load test on my lighted coil and it put out 2amp's...:thumbsup:

FOR EXAMPLE

gilson ST524 - YouTube

yes, that is the first thing i notes too is a lighted coil 5hp briggs is totally different. i have not look real hard into the lighted coil 5hp briggs, but did they ever build a 5hp lighted coil with points...:shrug:
All the first ones i ever saw were points.. Found em all in the junkyard.. The first was a 73 I think, in the briggs gold, and has a sticker (alternator equipped)

Those motors have a one way diode rectifier panel thing like the old Tec tractor motors, except it's all enclosed in a real small steel box, with just a one + wire coming out..

Then the EIC motors use a coil like yours, there's two different coils..

points has a black and red wire, like black and red on a battery.. The newer ones are one red wire out, and body ground... Like an old 10 horse vert motor uses..

all of the 5 horse EIC single wire coils I have found, never work... :glare:

Last edited:

delray

points/ engines must be real hard to find? never seen one my self....:shrug: it would be nice to put one on a boonie bike.....:thumbsup: this way you could use the correct style cover and not have to use the factory battery box setup.......:scooter: the newer single wire(red) lighted coil covers are deeper/longer and have a totally different recoil unit and if you get one off a snowblower the pull handle is pointing forward...:doah:(comes spot welded factory like that) you can see it in the gilson snowblower video...

Last edited:
izzyizz but with a lighted coil. i would have to say very hard to find.
He's right,you have to have a Briggs block,crank,flywheel and coil spacers that are made just for the lighting coil and they are a lot more rare to find than just a 5hp block.They can be found on some Troy built stuff and the military motor that Bad Dog sells is another.I own one of the Bad Dog motors.

For the Briggs 5hp horizontal engine, the ring-gear flywheel is required to use the alternator.
Also, the engine block needs to have the correct alternator mounts.

I'm going to check to garage for spare alternators.

points/ engines must be real hard to find? never seen one my self....:shrug: it would be nice to put one on a boonie bike.....:thumbsup: this way you could use the correct style cover and not have to use the factory battery box setup.......:scooter: the newer single wire(red) lighted coil covers are deeper/longer and have a totally different recoil unit and if you get one off a snowblower the pull handle is pointing forward...:doah:(comes spot welded factory like that) you can see it in the gilson snowblower video...
The one posted is for sale.. :shrug: runs and charges GREAT!!

Yeah I have only seen one LIGHTED points motor, and one separate coil by itself...

For the Briggs 5hp horizontal engine, the ring-gear flywheel is required to use the alternator.
Also, the engine block needs to have the correct alternator mounts.

I'm going to check to garage for spare alternators.
NO, you need a LIGHTED flywheel.. ALL electric start motors have a ring gear, but no magnets.. Only lighted motors have a lighted flywheel..

All electric start blocks have the mount for the coil..

All the electric start motors are the same thing.. Then SOME OF THEM, they ad the lighting coil and lighted flywheel..

NO, you need a LIGHTED flywheel.. ALL electric start motors have a ring gear, but no magnets.. Only lighted motors have a lighted flywheel..

All electric start blocks have the mount for the coil..

All the electric start motors are the same thing.. Then SOME OF THEM, they ad the lighting coil and lighted flywheel..
Do you have a part number for a lighted flywheel with no ring gear?

they are riveted and welded on.. :laugh: They are kinda permanent..

It doesn't matter.. YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE...

Electric strat block

electric start crank

electric start blower housing

coil and flywheel...

A lighting coil will not fit behind a standard flywheel, and a lighting coil will not bolt to a non lighted block.. :laugh:

Briggs eventually made a thinner flywheel with a nylon ring gear. It works with standard length crankshafts and has the magnet ring inside the flywheel. It should be used with newer style starter motors with nylon starter gear. I've only found 2 so far and they were complete NOS engines. The ignition coil requires spacers no matter what ring gear flywheel you use.