Lil' Indian 2-piece rebuild

jeep4me

Nice project. How'd you talk your wife into helping you?

I'm having some...well...issues getting my wife to understand the hobby of mini bike'n.

Yeah, she stole the Doodlebug the first day it arrived off the truck and now she jumped right in the middle of this project. I did not even have to ask.

I did not do much today. I did polish the wheels and degrease the tires. Amazing what a little work with the Dremel tool and Armor All will do. Almost forgot mention that I did put new tubes in the tires.

Last edited:
Tons of "elbow grease" polishing every nut, bolt, and part we took off. It came out better than I thought it would. Now I am debating clutch or TAV. I guess I have to order another handle bar decal also.

Last edited:

rudedog

You guys did a great job!!!!!

Couldn't you take the decal and copy it, then maybe laminate it and use spray adhesive to afix it to the mini? Or maybe even take it to a local printer for reproduction. I have a guy here in Houston that makes vinyl lettering, like window banners and stuff for me. He did all the decals on my car with an 8mil vinyl. I had an old friend that would take a picture of state inspection stickers every year and cut the picture out and use photo album sticky film to put it on his car, lol. That worked for quite a few years.

I thought about getting one made, but then I saw they are available at recleisure.com for $3. That is assuming they are still stocking them.

We really did not buy many additional parts. I bought two Northern Tool fenders, a new throttle cable, tire tubes, and the Ford Blue engine paint. I still need to get a clutch or TAV. Have not decided yet. Almost forgot, going to need the handle bar grips also.

This was a good starter project. I want to go with a vintage bike on the next build.

Last edited:
Recreational Leisure should have the decal available. They have a nice catalog that is loaded with things people could use for their projects. Makes a resto a little bit easier :thumbsup:.

I live just east of Memorial Park and ride around my neighborhood. Highly illegal, but very effective. So far I have not had any problems. I only ride for a few minutes at a time. The Doodlebug is pretty quite so I don't think I am bothering anyone. I usually have the two-year-old as a passenger and tend ride around at "bicycle" speed.

I snatched a TAV2 and a pair of Bolton grips off of ebay a couple of days ago and I worked a little on the linkage for the clone this morning. I did a dry-fit of the motor and all is good. I now see what Yellowhand was saying about the motor not being centered without a jackshaft. Motor tends to stick out farther on the starter side. I guess it will be somewhat compensated by the TAV and its plastic guard.

Forgot to mention that the seat has to go. My ass hurts 60 seconds after sitting on it. The foam in it is a joke. I also would like a longer one so I can take the kid on a ride.

kbs8ball

HAHA those seats are terrible...like sittin on a rock. how big a seat you want? I can make one as long and wide as you need. let me know.

I highly recommend a TAV2 for the lil indian frame, I have the exact same frame with a gx160 and a tav2 and the bike is a little monster. I have yet to find a hill the bike cant climb. I dont think any minibike should not have a TAV2, well worth the cash !!!

Yeah, the TAV2 is on the way. I am going to try to get the decal ordered today. I rigged up the linkage last night and mounted the engine this morning. Also, put the brake hardware back on. I cranked it up and it runs perfect. I just need to connect the throttle cable and shorten the chain when the TAV arrives. I could only find the Slime brand tire tubes so that's why the valve caps are the crappy looking green color.

Could you show a pic from the front/rear to show how far the Honda clone sticks out. Got a 3.5 Tecumseh on an Azusa, and want to no how far a Honda will stick out. Looking to pick up a Lil Indian also :drool:. Keep the pics a-coming!