Little trick for carburetor repair

I was recently attempting to disassemble the carburetor petcock to repair it,as it was leaking. I was having trouble getting the darn thing apart, because the screws holding the petcock together were stripped out. So I took a dremel with a cutoff wheel and carefully cut slots into each screw for a flathead screwdriver. I am now able to easily remove the screws whenever necessary. To fix the leak, I disassembled a petcock on an old yamaha gas tank I no longer use and removed a rubber o-ring from it. It turned out to be the perfect size to replace the deformed metal washer which was no longer doing its job. So there you have it. Dremel for grinding slots in stripped screws, plus rubber o-ring equals fixed leaky carb petcock ;)

I don't really think anyone needs pictures to understand how to grind a slot in a screw for a flathead screwdriver. If you know how a flathead screwdriver works, then you know where to grind a slot for one. Pretty simple if you ask me.

Well by that logic do you really think anyone with a home garage hasn't already discovered this little trick? It ain't exactly brain surgery.

Just sayin...

:001_tt2:

Butterbean thanks very much for the tip. Glad to hear about repurposing 'o' rings..usually the vendors are all hung up on it having to be exact...:thumbsup:

And Arthur...easy does it, or we'll suggest you have your name changed to 'motivation kill'..:smile:

Y'all have a great day ! (go ride a minibike !)

MB165

Good idea, those screws on the jap bikes sure are easy to strip. if you have vise grips with good jaws, they work too if theres room....