live axle advice needed

banjo

I got this go kart
it has left side drive (rim mounted sprocket). I 'm going to put 2, 5 hp. tec. motors on it. my question is about steering.. Now (left drive only) kart push steers to right . If I go live axle it will want to go straight (like my polaris 4 wheeler on asphalt). I want to add center support to rear of kart and make a jackshaft type set up on right side & leave left side drive alone but tie it into center support. I'm to cheap to buy a diff.......Does this seem like a good plan? I use the kart on pavement and just drive around my hood like a idiot and want as good of steering as possable. This is my first kart and I am just having a blast on it. Thanks. Dave

Last edited:
Banjo : What you want to show us is pictures of the back of the kart and things like your brake system and is it going to be suitable for a twin engine kart ? Does your steering tie rods go under the frame ??? One picture just won't do.
Steve :scooter:

banjo

Steve. I will get pics. up , and you nailed the brakes. It's a 4"band. Going live axle seems alot easier & I can get a frame with one from a friend. I am just worried with a stiff axle it wlll be to hard to turn sharp (like a driveway turnaround). I just don't know I never drove one. The twin engine is alot for cool factor, although a little more out of the hole never hurts. The tie rods are under the frame on the kart I am or (was) planing on using. Is that bad? One thing is it takes me to long to type stuff so it's hard to elaborate to much:laugh:Thanks Dave

Hi Dave : Stick around your typing spills will improve. Mine sure has I am an accomplished hunt and peck typist. And I don't think I have ever seen tie rods under the cart frame.
So don't worry about the turning just get a wider driveway LOL
Steve :scooter:

oldfatguy

the only problem with the live axle is the kart won't like making tight turns because it will require one tire to skid to compensate for the two different turn radiuses of the back wheels. This is not a problem on dirt but on pavement the kart will want to plow straight instead of turning. This shouldn't be a problem making wide turns but it will never make sharp turns like the kart with one drive wheel can.

banjo

Yeah my reason for spliting the axle was so maybe i can turn sharp (ish). I know both wheel drive will still tend to go straight but not so absolute. I know since they paved our roads up north( Boulder junction) how nasty it is to run 4 wheelers. Kinda a fast skidsteer.lol.

oldfatguy

I had my go kart out in the street and was trying to loop around to head back. Even with the wheels turned all the way it just wouldn't make the turn. it just plowed forward. I have 22x11 knobby tires on the back so they didn't want to slip on the pavement. Running two engines like you are with each driving a back wheel might work because it's still not a solid axle. If you don't plan on making U turns in the street it should work OK.

banjo

I kinda figured a stiff axle would be a issue . But as steve said brakes. I'll still need to deal with. Or get a bigger driveway.:laugh:

rmm727

the only problem with the live axle is the kart won't like making tight turns because it will require one tire to skid to compensate for the two different turn radiuses of the back wheels. This is not a problem on dirt but on pavement the kart will want to plow straight instead of turning. This shouldn't be a problem making wide turns but it will never make sharp turns like the kart with one drive wheel can.
Cut and turn your spindle mounts for some castor. I did that on my bar stool racers and when I turn my wheels all the way the inside rear tire is 1/2" off the ground. I have no problem turning on pavement. You might need more on a go kart as the frame is longer and probably flexes more. Ackerman steering could help too.

youll get usto it. youll find when you need to make a tight turn you can just lean to the outside front and the inside tire will slip. a little less tire pressure in the front helps alot too