Long Lost '70 Rupp Enduro Comes Home!

Here's my story and I'm sticking to it.......
16 years ago my son, then 10, and I were driving along a road when we saw a minibike for sale on a front lawn. 500' past, it hit me "A Rupp!". Hard braking, 10 minutes of looking it over with $80 changing hands my son had his first motor vehicle! The tank was long gone along with the Tec engine (a B&S was adapted) torque converter, seat, etc. She was REAL rough! BUT she ran and that is all my son cared about. With some foam rubber and duct tape she had a "custom" seat. For the next 3 Summers he put what I thought was a million miles on it driving in circles around our 1 acre lot. "God love the neighbors...."

Anyway, the Rupp was loaned to his cousins who were 5 years younger as son David graduated to a quad runner. Several years lated David got his drivers license, the quad runner was sold and girls (Ahem....) became his main interest. High school, 4 years of college, and 3 years working full time came and went.

The date is now July 2012.........

Dave Rigotti

My wife Connie gets a phone call from her mom. She is cleaning out the barn and wants to know what to do with the "minibike" that's been in there for years. WHAT! Ya gotta be kidding me? A half hour later we were at the barn looking over the long "lost" Rupp. Now this poor girl was in even rougher shape (if possible) that I could ever imagine. Joy of finding it again was stiffled with a sign of sympanthy.

We loaded it into the SUV and brought it back home. I parked it outside in the back of the house and took several pictures to send David to let him know what showed up!

He replied WOW! and said a quick search showed parts were available IF I wanted to fix it up "some". Hmmmm... I'll look into it.

Dave Rigotti

The work began the next week. A COMPLETE tear down was completed in a few days. The first of many parts orders were placed. A search for a proper engine was started. The sand blasting was fast and furious.....

Dave Rigotti

A H35 Tec engine was donated to the project by a local 17 year old who works at the County airport I keep my Cessna 150 at. More parts ordered, more sandblasting, more parts ordered...You get the idea!

Son David donates a gas tank from eBay to the project. Prep and cleanup finished about 2 weeks ago. Time to purchase $30 worth of rattle can paint.

Dave Rigotti

Last edited:
just to point out you will need a diaphragm type carb or angled intake manifold to run that Tecumseh on the angled motor plate...the Briggs don't mind but the Tecumseh float bowl won't like it.....the angled intake will put the carb bowl level again....:thumbsup:

just to point out you will need a diaphragm type carb or angled intake manifold to run that Tecumseh on the angled motor plate...the Briggs don't mind but the Tecumseh float bowl won't like it.....the angled intake will put the carb bowl level again....:thumbsup:
Dean Hamlin provided the parts to level the carb. Pics to follow.
ALOT of old memories for sure. I sent a link of this thread to my son and his twin sister. I figure another two weeks to go...
Stay tuned! What I have done looks GREAT!

Dave Rigotti

Well we looked for several hours for vintage pics and could not find any. Bummers! Would have been nice to complete the story.

But...........

Dave Rigotti

The rebuild is now complete EXCEPT for an exhaust system. We'll do that once we get her to her new home at the County Airport. She ran good for a few days but then started acting up. I got a new carb and all is good with the engine now. A thin wall tube expert welder at the airport will not have any trouble fabricating a "cool" exhaust pipe and muffler to finish the restore.

In case you all forgot here are a few "before" pics....

Dave Rigotti