Looking to have a seat cover made.

I have a Gilson/Wards 525 that I need a seat cover for. I have the wood and foam, just need a cover. I can staple it on...
I checked with Manchester1 but she only makes complete seats, not covers. I only need a cover.
Who else makes covers? I can send them my old cover to use as a pattern if needed.
I bought covers for Rupp's on eBay before for $28 that worked out Great, but didn't find any for Gilson/Wards mini's.
Let me know who can make one.
Thanks
Danford1

https://www.ebay.com/i/282884447024

Last edited:
I have a Gilson/Wards 525 that I need a seat cover for. I have the wood and foam, just need a cover. I can staple it on...
I checked with Manchester1 but she only makes complete seats, not covers. I only need a cover.
Who else makes covers? I can send them my old cover to use as a pattern if needed.
I bought covers for Rupp's on eBay before for $28 that worked out Great, but didn't find any for Gilson/Wards mini's.
Let me know who can make one.
Thanks
Danford1
I can't see the cost being much more to have Manchester1 recover your wood and foam. I have had about 10 seats made by her in the last couple of years and I have not been disappointed.

I can't see the cost being much more to have Manchester1 recover your wood and foam. I have had about 10 seats made by her in the last couple of years and I have not been disappointed.

Really??? I asked, she said $100 for the seat. She doesn't make only the cover. To me, $100, is a lot more than $28 for a cover...
I'm not a rich guy. I'm very glad you can afford 10 seats in a couple years. I simply can't. I'll keep looking. Soon I'll find someone that can sew a cover together for me. There are a lot of peoples mom's that have sewing machines and know how to sew. I remember my mom, and both grand mothers getting patterns and making their own dresses, curtains and things for the house. My guess is a minibike seat is a simply pattern, much easier than a dress with a collar, sleeves, waste pleats, matching belt and so on.
I contacted the seat cover maker on ebay to ask if he could make a Rupp cover without the word "Rupp" on it. If he can, then I can trim the wood to fit the cover easily. Making the wood to fit the cover is simple, in fact Karen told me my wood seat base was the best she had seen made.
Read post 41 of this thread. https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/OldMiniBikes-build-off-2017-a/139506-danford1s-sears-puddle-jumper-
vintage-5.html

I'm confident I can staple the cover to the wood also. I just need a cover ...
Danford1

If you need a service then it costs

I have sewn my own seat covers
There are always lots of cheap garage sale sewing machines around

I consider it to be a power tool , just like a welder or drill press

Get a machine and learn to sew

You will get good or be very happy to pay some one else to do it

bigrob, I actually have a sewing machine :) It is an old one that weighs about 100 lbs and still works well, I just don't have time
to set it up and use it. I ordered a seat cover from the LXM website above. I should have it in a week, custom made and ready to staple on.
Danford1

PS The link above doesn't work anymore. I ordered the seat cover from them. It was $29.85 plus $7 to ship it. Seemed great. The order went through.
Then, I get an email saying that was old website info, even though the order went through, they cancelled it and refunded my money. They redid the order for $36.99 plus $7.35 shipping to reflect the "new" pricing.
It was still a good deal so I ordered it again. I'm not happy with the Bait and Switch routine though. Be careful if any of you order from them...
Here is a screen print from the website before they removed it.

Last edited:
I received a PM that turned me on to this website. It looks perfect. You tell them the size and pick your colors.
I emailed them to see how long it takes to have one made. Here is the website for others that may need something made.
Danford1
https://lxmsparetirecovers.com/products/mini-bike-seat-upholstery-3
I contacted them and they were very ignorant. There was no address on website when I looked and when I asked where they were located they wanted to know why, N.C. I think and said I had to many questions go elsewhere. Wow 2 questions. Let me know how you make out

Doc1976

I will be watching for your update. I want to see what a $45 "custom fit" seat cover turns out to be. Might be a great deal. But coming from someone who is starting to stitch my own seats, I'm a little cynical about the quality and fit. Although the one pictured in the screens hot is a very basic cover. And the average home sewing machine is not designed for upholstery work. That's not to say it can't be done, I made my first 2-1/2 seats with an old cast iron machine. Notice I said 2-1/2. I now use a machine designed for the job, and the results are obvious.

Either way, I hope the cover works out for you.

Doc1976

I just re read my post and realized it sounded kinda shitty. I didn't mean it that way, I just have had too many bad experiences with these supposed professional companies over selling their products when I myself do work many times the quality theirs turns out to be. I am curious to see how it turns out for you.

cfh

to sew seats it's difficult to use a standard sewing machine. the material for seats is pretty thick, and a better machine that is designed for thicker materials is often needed to make it work.