Looking to have a seat cover made.

My seat isn't going to be an exact replica of a Gilson seat. It is a simple seat, 16" long, 8 1/2" across the back and 7 1/2" across the front. My build isn't supposed to be original, it is a modified creation.
The cover should be easy for them to make. I just ordered it black with orange piping. I'm confident the $45 seat cover will be fine.
Don't worry, I will post a truthful evaluation. If I got a bad deal, I'll admit it no problem :)
To be continued.
Danford1

Last edited:
I have a Gilson/Wards 525 that I need a seat cover for. I have the wood and foam, just need a cover. I can staple it on...I checked with Manchester1 but she only makes complete seats, not covers. I only need a cover.
I asked, she said $100 for the seat. She doesn't make only the cover. To me, $100, is a lot more than $28 for a cover.
My seat isn't going to be an exact replica of a Gilson seat. It is a simple seat, 16" long, 8 1/2" across the back and 7 1/2" across the front. I'm confident the $45 seat cover will be fine.
Reading this thread, it looks like the requirement changed. So here's the quotes to clarify the decision making process and the final requirement for those who think it was simply that Manchester charges too much.

Manchester did my last few seats. (well over ten, though I had one Cat seat done locally and it was $119 by a well known local high end boat upholsterer)

On my last seat, I bought the material, one yard, and sent it and the seat pan to Manchester, as it was a custom job. Just the material was $38.95, plus $15 for shipping. Considerations of the material are weight per sq yard, abrasion rating, colorfastness, backing material, and many other factors and these are industry standards.

For $45, are you getting the same quality of material that Manchester provides in a custom seat? She sells "designed to fit," specific or custom applications for twice the amount you're paying, and at slightly more than the generic E-Bay seats are going for. Ok, you saved $50.

How will you evaluate your seat cover? Shine a UV lamp of "x" lumens on it until it fades? "Double rub" the fabric together to see if it exceeds 1000 rubs? Those are industry standard tests and quality benchmarks above and beyond the quality of the stitching, and the type of thread used, and I wont even mention flame testing!

I'm sticking with Manchester, despite having a fellow car club member nearby who owns a car upholstery shop, despite the several high end boat upholstery shops, despite the shipping. Why? Because Manchester understands what a mini bike seat is. Because a $50 difference in price is just not worth the reduction in quality on a mini bike I spent a few thousand dollars and a few hundred hours on. Call me a sucker, but with my fixed income, I refuse to sacrifice quality to save a few bucks on the most used part of a mini bike.

Thank you for the explanation [MENTION=31239]Havasu Dave[/MENTION] that I never take the time to explain.:laugh: I figure if people don't like the price, they can move on. The 100.00 quote I gave was for a complete reproduction seat. That is using the best marine grade vinyl and the 1" heat pleat vinyl (not stitched pleats) that is pretty expensive. The Gilson seat also uses a yard of the black vinyl because of the shape. "If it was easy, everybody would do it".:thumbsup:

I know Manny, and I don't begrudge anyone's decision as to how they spend their hard earned money. Just felt a comparative analysis was in order, having gone through the material procurement process.

1971_MB1A

I totally agree...compare apples to apples. If it's just pretty much a pos beater bike or something I am just throwing together to flip then fine. But if it's something that I've spent a lot of my time and $ on then I'm not going to cheap out on the seat.

capguncowboy

https://lxmsparetirecovers.com/terms

looks like you are stuck if you do not like the quality of the merchandise.
That poorly written statement and claim means nothing to the credit card companies. A dispute with a credit card rarely favors the seller when it comes to small businesses.

I prefer to have Karen make the seats for the bikes I'm restoring. If it's one for a rider that I'm gonna beat up or sell, then I'm not as picky.

That poorly written statement and claim means nothing to the credit card companies. A dispute with a credit card rarely favors the seller when it comes to small businesses.

I prefer to have Karen make the seats for the bikes I'm restoring. If it's one for a rider that I'm gonna beat up or sell, then I'm not as picky.

i totally agree with you. but it does give you an insight into the sellers' mindset
as in he doesn't care as to how his customers like the work, you are stuck with
it.

in the final analysis you are rolling the dice on $50, when; for a few bucks more
you know what you are getting from karen.

the properly placed semicolon is just for daves enjoyment....

I received my seat cover today. I am Very pleased with it. I took a few pictures showing the inside and outside of the cover. It has 7" of side flap for stapling which is way more than enough. The construction seems fine to me. It has sewn lines not heat pleated. I will post pictures of my completed seat in a couple days along with the completed minibike which is in the Just For Fun class. It has a Rupp front suspension, Briggs Animal etc so it is far from an original build. The regular seat on it will be just fine for my needs.
Thank you for all the comments, I appreciate them. I like Karen's work too but time was also an issue. I could have it now for $45 or wait until sometime in July for it. I'm sorry if I offended anyone by not having it made by Karen. I asked her first if it matters to anyone...
I ordered it on May 4th and had it in my hands 10 days later. I thought that was all good.
Thank you again for your help and input.
Danford1

Doc1976

I'm glad it worked out for you. As I'm sure you can see, the obvious fitment variance that comes from not having the seat and cover made by the same person at the same time are there. There are some seams that could be straighter, but what matters is if you are pleased. Not everyone's standards are the same, and spending $100 may have not been reasonable for you. Although, I personally think your work on the rest of the bike is of higher quality than that seat cover, but that's only my opinion.

BUT IT'S ALL ABOUT HAVING FUN BUILDING AND RIDING OUR BIKES!

here is the last two seats I did.

Thank you.
The seat was sewn straight enough, I just didn't tension it correctly when I stapled it on LOL
It wasn't Only the $100, it was Time. I had the cover in my hands in 10 days. I was quoted 6 to 7 weeks along with the $100.
Yep for this build it is the fun factor. I was riding it having fun for 4 to 5 weeks before I would have received the other seat. That is a Win-Win.
I hope you are enjoying yours as well.
Cheers
Danford1

Last edited:
This is a DB seat cover from LXM Boutique , $33 +$7 shipping and got it in about 7-8 days . Its the 3rd one ive bought , one of mine is over 3 years old and very well used and still in basically perfect condition , the seat covers have a place in the mini bike world . Now as far as Karens seats , hands down the best period , when custom or highest quality and attention to detail is a must then Pony Up and plan ahead , there is a reason it takes 6-8 weeks !!

Custom made seats are a lot easier to make than correct fitting exact reproductions of an original seat. Just ask Karen how much time and headache she had into making my speedway seats. I guarantee that after material cost and time karen makes little money per hour on them. If you need a cheap seat that doesn’t have to be exact that’s fine too but I’m grateful to have people making such nice reproduction seats.