Machine work

Hi guys, my local machine shop wants $100 to install one larger valve and mill the head on an intek 206. Seems high to me, is that a fair price? I'm south of Atlanta in case that matters. He also knows that I will do the disassembling/assembling.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Not really up on the Inteks , but yea that seems a bit high to me :shrug:
Then again, I know everything has gone up and it's been some time since I had any machine work done.

I guess the next question would be, are you supplying the parts? and do they have have to cut and install the new valve seat? If so then the price is prob fair for the work being done. Just my humble opinion.

Vic

Not really up on the Inteks , but yea that seems a bit high to me :shrug:
Then again, I know everything has gone up and it's been some time since I had any machine work done.

I guess the next question would be, are you supplying the parts? and do they have have to cut and install the new valve seat? If so then the price is prob fair for the work being done. Just my humble opinion.

Vic
I should have mentioned that the price was with me providing everything. Yes they would install a new seat that I would provide.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Well all things considered, that price is prob in line with todays pricing .Machine work has never really been cheap for a good quality machine shop .

Well all things considered, that price is prob in line with todays pricing .Machine work has never really been cheap for a good quality machine shop .
Aye, that's what I'm thinking. It costs what it costs, and you always get what you pay for. There was another thread about a machine shop totally ruining a guy's engine when they cut the seats.

I suppose a hundred bucks is fair for a valve and seat job, and a surfacing.

I think its fair especially if the guy has to make a fixture to hold the head to do the machining. You could shop around for a machine shop that does small engines. :smile:

KB2ROCKET

May I suggest having a kart sngine builder do you do your machine work they know what makes power and they have done many intek heads before

125ccCrazy

when it comes to any kind of machine work whether it's milling, boring etc, most of the cost comes from set up time and not the actual machine work itself... $100 to cut the head for a bigger seat and mill it sounds pretty fair if they know what they are doing.. Look up some karting shops online and give them a call and see what they charge..... I'm pretty sure I've seen some in the Georgia area when looking up things before..

Go to one of the karting DISCUSSION FORUMS and ask for recommendations for small engine performance/machine shops in your area. These guys will know who is good and who is not. Also, it is a much more objective point of view than just calling some shop you know nothing about= less RISK for you that someone will screw it up! While COST is certainly a reasonable and expected question, I would not place that as a priority in your selection of a machine shop. Instead, look for VALUE.:thumbsup:

Yalipito, The machine shops in central Pa. where I live do small jobs on a time & materials basis. The time cost runs anywhere from 85 to 100 dollars per hour and that includes set up time. No matter where you go you're going to find one universal truth...."Machine work ain't cheap!" Ogy

Yalipito, The machine shops in central Pa. where I live do small jobs on a time & materials basis. The time cost runs anywhere from 85 to 100 dollars per hour and that includes set up time. No matter where you go you're going to find one universal truth...."Machine work ain't cheap!" Ogy
Holy crap, today I dropped off an intek head to be milled .060" and that is going to cost $60. While I was there I ask the owner what would it cost to install a larger set of valves and seats and he said that it would be over $200 with me providing the parts. I think I will not do any more business with this guy as I am now convinced that he is way too high. What are you guys paying for larger valve installation?:confused:

Those prices aren't out of line.

Shaving a head is a pretty straightforward & simple process. That's why that was only $60.

A machinist that's actually good at what they do will command premium prices. You're not paying for a Joe-Bob in his basement with a drill press & belt sander to do it.

There is a LOT that goes into setup. When it comes to cutting larger seats & installing them, you're figuring on cutting angles, etc. Having a cut a few sets of seats, matching them to the valves, & finally installing them, it is not that easy of a job.