Manual clutch?

Not sure if anyone has done this before, but it should work...

I got on old style lawnmower a while back just for the engine.
My plan was to sell or scrap the rest of the mower, but then I got thinking...

It has a centrifugal clutch to drive the blades at the front constantly, but there is also a manual clutch to drive the drum at the back to push it along.

Would you think a mini with a manual or manual+centrifugal clutch would be a cool idea?

Living in England there r no mini bike frames so would have to build from scratch, so could design it however I wanted.

What do u think?!

View attachment 49036

cxbra

The thing is, since there is no neutral in our gearboxes if you did have a manual clutch on a minibike/go kart you would have to hold in the clutch everytime you come to a stop, or the bike will take off with or without you. Manual would be SO MUCH BETTER if there were a way to engage "neutral".

Well this one does in a way!
The clutch lever on the handle has a catch. U pull the lever and engage the catch and will hold the clutch open. I'll post a pic when I get home.

neat set up. I have thought about using an electric 1" clutch on my mini to see how it does, mebbe engaging around 4-5k rpms might not make it happy though.. am interested to see what happens though.
I have read where a cart guy was using one with good results.

scootercat

Confused 1985,Any info as to the year and brand mower You have there?..I like the looks of the disc setup...Any pics of the other side?...Release mechanicals mostly,By the way thats a great find!...I'm sure the fine folks on OldMiniBikes can give You lots of ideas on Your build...My tip is to look through the freaks and homebuilts thread for TONS of ideas!....Scootercat....

It's a Ransommes Mercury 16" mower. No date that I can see but I think it's 1960s some time. It's dark when I get home but this weekend I'll do a quick video on YouTube for it.

Thanks for the vid!..:bowdown:..I think that setup is alot like the type I posted in the other thread about a man.clutch prototype a member(Briggsscooter2) is working on....I see by Your vid how the release works and it is the same thing that is used on older Speedway and flat track m/c clutches,and its strange that the release uses the outer housing to operate,and that the inner cable is fixed as shown in the vid....Now I have some good ideas for making one,just have a few details to work out like what to use for the friction pads,maybe disc brake pads cut to fit...Then what can be used to bond them in place...
Not many places left that reline brake shoes around here!...Scootercat....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Yeah the way the cable is used is odd, but looks cool with that chunky lever is operates.
As for the friction pads, break pads sound like a good option.
The ones on mine line up on both sides, so I dunno if possibly they go right thru?
As there is little separation between the plates they wouldn't fall out
I'm not sure how well the epoxy glues hold up to heat etc but there may be a more industrial glue option out there?

Thanks!....You've given Me a idea!...The center disc can have just holes spaced evenly around for the pads,and the pads can be round slices that fit into the holes!...Like You said...Held by the inner and outer discs (is that the plural?)
:shrug:...Back to the shed n fire up the lathe!...Scootercat....

Awesome! Yeah that idea should work. The centre disc is basically just a
large sprocket. 3 old valve springs maybe? If u have a lathe then u can make all the rest!

YUP!...I need to pick up a sprocket,a couple in fact one for the center disc and a smaller one for power out to the sprocket on rear wheel....What is the tooth count on Your mowers center disc?...I have a #35 pitch,60 tooth on My motored bicycle,it has a 1.375 centerhole and it was only around 12 or 13 $bucks....and Yes I do have access to a lathe...and a cnc mill....I do proto type fabrication for the auto industry and have been a certified all position pipe welder in My youth,T.I.G./M.I.G. is what I'm doing now...just have to draw up something I'm still in the planing stage as to what can be used for what...Scootercat....