Manual hand clutch.

Sprocket86

I remember someone was designing and fabricating a manual hand clutch for mini bike and kart use a few years back.

It seemed to be quite the hot topic on here but now I don't see much about them anymore.

Did a google search and I found a company called "3D Motorsport" that makes a manual hand clutch system.

Has anyone on here used this product and how is the performance/durability?

Thanks.

There's a lot of feedback on the Facebook groups about them. It was originally Downs Brothers but the design and customer service just didn't hold up. From what I've read it's the same person with a better design and they seem to be much better. I've never used one that just my take from the various Facebook groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprocket86

Sprocket86

There's a lot of feedback on the Facebook groups about them. It was originally Downs Brothers but the design and customer service just didn't hold up. From what I've read it's the same person with a better design and they seem to be much better. I've never used one that just my take from the various Facebook groups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Himm...sounds promising and I'll check out the FB group pages for more info!

I really want one of these clutches and I can't believe they haven't caught on more.

If it is the same group (Downs Brothers) re-marketing the clutch BUYER BEWARE as these guys were kind of slippery. You have been warned...
Michael

Now take this with a grain of salt but everybody I've seen put one of these on something talks about how cool it is and all that then a very short time later swaps it back out to a clutch or TAV and nothing is ever said about it again. Personally I'd rather take the money to buy a good TAV, a nice lunch, and more beer.

Now if that clutch came with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear my story might change.

Now take this with a grain of salt but everybody I've seen put one of these on something talks about how cool it is and all that then a very short time later swaps it back out to a clutch or TAV and nothing is ever said about it again. Personally I'd rather take the money to buy a good TAV, a nice lunch, and more beer.

Now if that clutch came with a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear my story might change.
I had a feeling if these were the hot item to have I would hear about them on here much more and OldMiniBikes warehouse would probably stock them. Darn it!

I had a feeling if these were the hot item to have I would hear about them on here much more and OldMiniBikes warehouse would probably stock them. Darn it!
I wouldn't count them out yet as I have not seen any reviews on the new ones.......if the horse power issue eating up plates has been addressed properly you never know....but they do still seem like an expensive novelty item...JMO

Last edited:
Last edited:
As mentioned above, I have the 3D clutch but I have not tried it out yet! On Facebook I read a few good things about it, and I liked how their website has all the replacement parts so I took a leap of faith :) I will let you all know how I like it once I ride it!

As mentioned above, I have the 3D clutch but I have not tried it out yet! On Facebook I read a few good things about it, and I liked how their website has all the replacement parts so I took a leap of faith :) I will let you all know how I like it once I ride it!
Hi there. Yes please let us know how this manual hand clutch installs, operates and how it holds up, that would be great! I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these. Those who understand the slip ratio theory and how it acts as a torque multiplier would really understand the performance benefit this device would offer.

My M's have these setups, and I've thought of trying one.

Lawn-Boy (Blade) CLUTCH BRAKE ASSY # 683098 *Fits: 6262 680545 8241 8244 8403 ++ | eBay

Better view of innards. Thin, single area of friction surface, but it may hold since it drives the blade.
Lawn-Boy Clutch Brake Assembly BBC 683098 | eBay

Honda has a setup, too, but I see a lot of "how-to" for fixing one that slips.
Honda Power Equipment HR21-5 SDAM ROTARY BLADE / ROTO-STOP | CyclePartsNation Honda Parts Nation
Wow that's innovative and I never would have thought a mower blade control clutch could be potentially adapted for mini or kart use.