mashed up Murray

I have a Murray Track 2 that has had an unfortunate accident. Previous owner ran into something and the top bar (backbone) and down bar is bent back. I tried to use a torch and pry bar/scissor jack to get it back into shape but.... didnt work. What I would like to know is what I would need to grind the factory welds off to remove the two bars in question... I would like to "grind" the welds off and remove the bent bars in one piece so I can take them to a metal shop. My hopes are a competant metal fabricator could replicate the two bars/bends and I could weld them back in.

TomH

Wow that is a hard lick. Murrays are super stout. I am no metal man, but that looks expensive. I would pluck it clean and look for another frame. Wish you had a wider shot to see how bad it is out

It's hurt bad and unless you can pull it back you'll never be happy with a repair, everything is under tension so when you cut it it will twist more often than not. A parts bike now.:thumbsup:

dang. just a 4.5" angle grinder with a cutoff wheel should take care of that. you want to cut into the weld as opposed to just grinding it off because it goes deep . But like others said. it would probrobly be cheaper and certainly easier to just find another bare frame.

Well if you are selling the wheels put a price on them shipped to Massachusetts. If not it will go to Windber and I will probably just give it away.... Hell if someone around here needed it they can have it. I just hate shipping things..

I will try to get some pics tomorrow. As long as I dont have to crate it or pack it in anyway it is free. If you have a friend in Massachusetts that can come and get it you can have it. If not I think there is a UPS Store near me. I do not know what it would cost to ship it,but I would be willing to bring it there and let them do everyhting. You would just have to call them and arrange everything. Let me get the pics first and then you can decide. PM me tomorrow after 5PM so I dont forget.... Randy

V8

If you really want to salvage the frame - cut the frame where the red arrows are marked, then you can use a 115mm angle grinder to cut off the gusset and bent tubing.
Don't try to cut into the weld cut about 3mm away with a 1mm disk then grind down the rest till flush. You'll have to bend a large radius of tube and cut out the pice that best suits the original curve of the frame.

Lotsa work, but it can be done

thank you for all the help guys/gals...
GUMPIT...I wish I had a friend in MASS... best of Kharma to you buddy!
square chopper...many thanks, I purchased a new frame from that guy. Excited about the Murray again!:scooter:

i will supply pics as i go along:hammer: I like the classic mini bikes, i own a Sears Roper, and the Murray has to be a modern classic for sure.