Maxibike build?Interesting idea.I have questions.

I hope the title got some wonder what I am up to.Well,let me give ya'll the back story.My girlfriend had a full size 600cc Yamaha Vtwin motorcycle.She could barely touch the ground on it and she never got the concept of how to operate the throttle and clutch,or changing gears.She really wants to be out there with me when I ride my motorcycle.Sometimes she will just follow me around in my truck and tell me she's scared I will will break down.I've only needed a tow once since I started riding motorcycles 20 years ago.Thing is we are both short, and well, fat.So I decided it would be better for her to have her own cruiser-esque large minibike,hence the term maxibike. :laugh:

My thoughts were to source an older smaller motorcycle frame and chop it,nothing new for me. :innocent: I won't stretch the front end.Just keep it at a normal cruiser rake around 32-35 degrees.Get the seat height down to around 24 inches since she only has a 26 inseam.Then power it with a 25hp V twin running a CVT from a snow machine.I would like for her to be able to do short 15 mile hops on the interstate,so speed would need to be around 70mph max up hill through the mountains. :eek:ut: To much to ask? I had though about running a two speed jack shaft but 25+ hp may be a little to much for those while carrying 500 or 600 pounds of motorcycle and person.I had considered a small air cooled diesel like some are using over on diesel bike forums.Most of those bare reach 50mph.

I really want her to ride with me.I believe it would help mend our relationship.I have already started a trike build for her but she refuses to ride it because of the throttle,clutch,shift synchronizing.What ideas do you guys have?I have the layout of the motorcycle itself laid out in my head.What I really need help with is the CVT and auto shift transmission ideas.

BTW she likes these a whole lot.She wanted the all black version that NIT sells.

The problem is getting that frame registered for the road. I've
built one up and you could shoe horn that engine. It's been done. With right gearing you could get there, but making it street legal?
Search "War Pony" and you will see what you have discribed. I'd out up a picture but can't do it from my phone.

Outdoorguy

Look around, Ridley has done all of the work for you. They use a CVT clutch system and have a 24 inch seat height. A little pricey but these things will run right next to any full size bike on the road.

The problem is getting that frame registered for the road. I've
built one up and you could shoe horn that engine. It's been done. With right gearing you could get there, but making it street legal?
Search "War Pony" and you will see what you have discribed. I'd out up a picture but can't do it from my phone.

Outdoorguy
I would start with a titled frame,if i do it.SC is easy to register a homebuilt motorcycle.

Thanks for the link.

Look around, Ridley has done all of the work for you. They use a CVT clutch system and have a 24 inch seat height. A little pricey but these things will run right next to any full size bike on the road.

That's a cool looking bike.I'm going to check them out.

What about a 250 cc - 300 cc scooter? :shrug: Yep, I know they're not "motorcycly" enough, but they come with the CVT style tranny, supposed to be able to get up to the 70 mph mark and are street legal. Just a thought, I am considering getting one myself after I fix up my old C70 Passport, enjoy it for a couple of years and then sell it.

Just a thought.

Paul

What about a 250 cc - 300 cc scooter? :shrug: Yep, I know they're not "motorcycly" enough, but they come with the CVT style tranny, supposed to be able to get up to the 70 mph mark and are street legal. Just a thought, I am considering getting one myself after I fix up my old C70 Passport, enjoy it for a couple of years and then sell it.

Just a thought.

Paul
I have looked at all the 300CC and up Japanese scooters.All are to tall and can't be lowered enough.Lowest seat height I found was a Yamaha at 28 inches.I need 24 inches absolute max.I have considered using a scooter drive train in a motorcycle frame.It would come out way to long.

Welcome to the Home of the Original California Pocket Bike TM
what about one of these ? it does have a 25 inch seat height but you could maybe chop the frame or lower the seat mounts .
i have heard of getting them street legal as a custom bike with some work . :shrug:
No clutch but she'll still have to shift.Those have a top speed of around 40mph.That's about the slowest local speed we have.Most of our area has a speed limit of 45-55mph.