mig welder question

my friends welder we are useing wont feed the wire, its a harbor fright mig. it was working, only one feeding wheel spins and even when we really tighten it it barley feeds.

help???

The restriction may be in the liner or the guns tip. you got to be sure they all match. Try with the machine off and the wheel completely loose and the lead stretched out see if the wire can be pulled through the liner. If not pull the liner and inspect it for kinks.
Steve :scooter:

Are you using the correct feed wheel for the wire size you're using??? Sometimes if it's a smaller diameter wire you'll have to flip the wheel to the smaller, more shallow groove.

Smallbore

my friends welder we are useing wont feed the wire, its a harbor fright mig. it was working, only one feeding wheel spins and even when we really tighten it it barley feeds.

help???
The biggest problem is its a Harbor Freight welder ! Sorry but their pretty crappy. O.K. lets get to your problem.... First off... Undo the tension device that puts pressure on the wire, turn on the machine and see if the feed wheel is turning. If not, good luck finding parts for that import machine. Assuming that it`s turning... Remove the tip at the end of the gun. Whether its a .023, a 0.30, or a .035 doesn't matter, just get it off of there. Now turn the machine on and the wire speed all the way up. It should come right out. If it does at a good rate of speed, replace the torch tip and make sure it matches the wire you are using i.e. .023 wire, .023 tip... .030 wire, .030 tip etc... Now if the wire comes out slowly or intermittently than the torch cable is dirty inside. If this is the case, go to a real welding supply (not Harbor Freight) and ask for a Lube pad, clip, and a bottle of cleaner. The salesman will show you where on the machine to apply it. Its a pad similar to a scotch brite pad that will clip over the wire right as it enters the torch cable inside the machine. Squirt a bit of lube on the pad and your good to go.I never run my machines without it. If all else fails.... find a dumpster and get a Lincoln, Miller, or ESAB :thumbsup:

Last edited: